Author Topic: avast! Free to avast! Internet Security...transition  (Read 5969 times)

hayc59

avast! Free to avast! Internet Security...transition
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
If a regular Joe like myself, was very very lucky
to get a 'gift' of a free upgrade to avast! Internet Security
and already have a firewall and spyware program
ie.. Outpost and Malwarebytes, with Winpatrol and Secureanywhere
running at start up.
I would like to know if it cant be stripped down to just a 'pro' version
argo during installation like the free version choosing what one wants installed.

Do I also need to uninstall and then clean up and re-install or just add new key?
thanks for any and all advise
G

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: avast! Free to avast! Internet Security...transition
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
Just adding the key will upgrade your avast, what i would do is disable outpost while doing the upgrade and then when completed go to programs and features/remove programs and run the change option to remove the features you dont want from avast and reboot when completed, dont forget to re-enable outpost :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
Personally I would do a clean 'custom' install rather than try and upgrade avast free and than try to effectively downgrade it to no firewall and anti-spam.

That way I would be leaving Outpost enabled during the avast Internet Security custom install.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:30 PM »
Personally I would do a clean 'custom' install rather than try and upgrade avast free and than try to effectively downgrade it to no firewall and anti-spam.

That way I would be leaving Outpost enabled during the avast Internet Security custom install.

+1
I tried Craigb's suggestion a few weeks back when having 'a shield problem' (I figure it was BS) system wouldn't load applications unless BS was not functioning/install; anyway, eventually did a Clean Install chosing all shields and that resolved My issue. :)
I also left OP enabled as usual. ;)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »

+1
I tried Craigb's suggestion a few weeks back when having 'a shield problem' (I figure it was BS) system wouldn't load applications unless BS was not functioning/install; anyway, eventually did a Clean Install chosing all shields and that resolved My issue. :)
I also left OP enabled as usual. ;)
Good to know, thanks for the info :)

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:05:59 PM »
 ;) :)

hayc59