Author Topic: Internet Security 7 won't start  (Read 3331 times)

bigounets

Internet Security 7 won't start
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:38:07 PM »
I realised this morning that the Avast Internet Security 7 I paid for in May (two year subscription) hadn't been connected for about a week. No warning, nothing. I'm glad I checked the hidden icons and found that out. It had worked without a glitch since I subscribed.
First I tried to logon to my account, wouldn't work. Didn't recognize my email address. After playing around for about an hour, I finally was able to logon to the website with a new password. But there's no sign there that I have bought any product.
Then I went back to my Avast, and tried to click on "start program" (see attached photo), but nothing happened.
I sent a ticket to the customer support about two hours ago, nothing came back. Not even a confirmation that the ticket was sent. Nothing in my junk folder either.
I have a home business and depend on my computer everyday. I've just wasted two hours of my day. What in the world is going on?
I appreciate any help anyone can give me to figure out this situation.
Thank you.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Internet Security 7 won't start
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:56:52 PM »
and you have tried avast repair and reboot?

For a repair of avast. Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down t

what antivirus did you have before avast ?
have you uninstalled it ?

bigounets

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:03 PM »
Hi Pondus,
Thank you for your reply.
I did try to repair and update. But I got error messages each time. I rebooted my computer... nothing worked.
Before that I had a McAffee trial that I got rid of to install Avast.
I finally found the phone number for support. After a little walk through it came down to I have to pay $$$ to do a maintenance to make Avast work again. I said I didn't have $$$ so I was offered a $$ option. I don't have $$ either. So Finally I was told I could try to uninstall and reinstall Internet Security, which I did, and it now works fine. Don't know what happened. Glad it works now. Disappointed that I was told I had to pay $$$ for maintenance before I could use Avast again, while reinstalling it worked fine. I understand that maintenance is important, but really?
Anyway, thank you Pondus. Have a great day.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:00:29 PM »
you should run McAfee removal tool so all leftover files that may conflict are gone..

you find it here   http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

OBS...and all forum help is free   ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:02:18 PM by Pondus »

bigounets

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »
Thanks, I will do that. But isn't it funny that I haven't had any problem whatsoever with AVAST since I installed it? I would think that if there was some McAffee leftover, the problem would have started within the last three months or so.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »
computers work in mysterious ways   ::)

bigounets

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 05:06:27 PM »
Right you are!
 ;D