Author Topic: If a Trojan was blocked, does that mean I'm safe and good-to-go?  (Read 9873 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: If a Trojan was blocked, does that mean I'm safe and good-to-go?
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Site is infected..

It looks like a clicker malware [screenshot 1] and/or a redirector [screenshot 2] also a hidden appendchild Iframe kind of thingy[Screenshot no 3]

see what i got while saving the HTML format when avast is active..

avast! web shield neatly blocks it out.You are safe..
infection confirmed by Norman lab
index.php: Agent.AESVS

Nesivos

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 07:54:53 PM »
Would that mean it's safer to just not have it at all?
Yes.

Okay, cool. Thanks!  I just won't download it then.  Sounds like it would have been really important to update it if I already had it.

Are you sure you don't have an older version of Java on your computer?  To check go to the Windows "Control Panel" (click on Windows ball in lower left hand side of "Task Bar" and then click on "Control Panel"  Once in the "Control Panel" type "Java" in the "Control Panel" search box.  If you have Java it should show up in the search results.  If it doesn't show up in the search results then type "applications" in the "Control Panel" search box.   After the results come up click on "Uninstall Applications" for a list of your installed applications.  Then check to see if you have Java.

Better to take a few minutes to be safe rather than be sorry.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
As for showing your full version of avast in your sig, I'd encourage you to keep on doing so -- it helps us sort out what problems might or might not be avast-related.  As you probably know, there have been quite a few sub-version upgrades to avast 7 (all versions, afaik) since its initial release.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

LadyA

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 02:28:26 AM »
Are you sure you don't have an older version of Java on your computer?
Better to take a few minutes to be safe rather than be sorry.
Good point, and I did check again using both ways you suggested, but Java isn't anywhere (not in my programs and didn't show up with a control panel search for "Java").  I just got this computer a couple months ago and would have remembered downloading it, so was pretty sure I didn't have it.  Just haven't come across any website yet that has needed for me to download it, so I haven't.  On my old computer I did have Java, though... so I'm glad to learn about this stuff from you all (about the vulnerabilities, etc)!  Now I know if I ever do get it again, that I should always make sure it's up-to-date.

As for showing your full version of avast in your sig, I'd encourage you to keep on doing so -- it helps us sort out what problems might or might not be avast-related.  As you probably know, there have been quite a few sub-version upgrades to avast 7 (all versions, afaik) since its initial release.
Okay, will do!  I'm learning this stuff as I go along; this forum is awesome!  I think I was assuming that with every daily Avast update, the number would change, so that's why I thought it might be better to just put 7 since I don't get on here everyday and change my sig... but now that I see the number was 7.0.1466 yesterday and still is today, I see that's not the part that changes.  I put it back into my signature. :)

Thanks again, everyone!