Author Topic: Avast new Defs =>120904-0 blocked internet access  (Read 4674 times)

bratpack

Avast new Defs =>120904-0 blocked internet access
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I was online and everything was working fine UNTIL the most current Avast definition update that occurred around approx. 11:20 am CT.

After the update I wasn't able to access websites in I.E. or Firefox.  Blocked except for being able to use Outlook Express.

As usual this has been a problem off and on with Avast for the past 6 months.

Due to my previous experience with this particular headache, I ended up having to reboot my Pc then everything went back to normal.

Virus Definitions Version:  120904-0
Program Version 7.0.1466
Windows XP SP3

It's infuriating to be in the middle of a lot of work online then to have the above cause problems that cost much unnecessary time and hassle.

Where has the quality of Avast gone this year?

I used to recommend Avast to others but now I advise them against using such a buggy and unstable program...  :o/

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast new Defs =>120904-0 blocked internet access
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
I haven't heard anyone else with that problem so it could be something related to your system, any other security software installed ?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
I haven't heard anyone else with that problem so it could be something related to your system, any other security software installed ?

Just FYI
My AIS just updated Virus Def to same version on XP with no issues...Network or otherwise. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Not blocked here either, time to look at other possibilities.

The VPS shouldn't block the Internet as that contains virus signatures, so it should be displaying avast alerts, which I presume it isn't doing ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bratpack

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
Thanks for your replies.

I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall and have done so for a few years.

Did go in and delete avastSvc.exe and thus far all is working well.

I'm not always at the pc when Avast does updates but it's times when I see the popup alert about the defs being updated then losing web access within 5 min. of seeing that which makes me believe that the problem is Avast.

Normally I can restore to a previous config and that clears it up but I'm getting tired of wasting time dealing with this problem which began earlier this year.

I regularly check my pc with an always updated MalwareBytes and also just recently ran GMER which took hours to run - to check to make sure I didn't have a rootkit on this pc  (due to the false Avast alert about Javascript & my being blocked  from my bank acct).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
Sunbelt have discontinued this firewall http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/Sunbelt-Personal-Firewall/:
According to the vendor's site, Sunbelt Personal Firewall

has been discontinued: "Hence, effective May 23, 2011, Sunbelt Personal Firewall will be discontinued and no longer available for purchase. Technical support for Sunbelt Personal Firewall will be provided until December 31, 2011."

So a security application that hasn't had any development since May 23, 2011 (who know if it was even before that date that development ceased), so I would be looking for a new firewall.

EDIT: looks like the last Stable release was version 4.6.1861 / 2008, so way older than when it was abandoned.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:44:45 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bratpack

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 04:25:06 AM »
DavidR,

thanks for bringing to my attention that the Sunbelt Firewall installed on my pc  is no longer supported.

I'm so good about keeping everything up to date so not sure how I missed that.

Have had really bad experiences with Zone Alarm in the past so will have to research finding one that works well.

Will be taking care of that asap!

Thanks again.

Dj

cooby

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
Sunbelt FW 4.7.4 is the latest, not 4.6. There was beta for 4.7 which went free, so the difference between 4.6 and 4.7 is no paying.
Yes, it's not updated. It doesn't need updating. Perhaps HIPS rules or IDS, but packet filter is a packet filter, internet hasn't changed in years.
What might be happening in the OP might be
1. avast service not allowed out
2. proxy ports not setup correctly
3. in behavior list not allowing avast sandbox to be updated since the path changes often. So if the user isn't there when avast updates, and the firewall asks, no answer means deny.
4. if avast service changed and user not there to permit a changed application, it'll be denied. Zone Alarm and Outpost will behave the same.

bratpack, In years of using Avast and few firewalls, I never had the issue you describe. I too was once blocked from my bank account. Their site must have been hacked, it contained javascript heading out to a russian trojan giving site. Thank you Avast for saving my skin :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:16:42 AM by cooby »

bratpack

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 07:35:33 AM »
Cooby,

thanks for your input on Sunbelt firewall.

I have double checked my Sunbelt Firewall settings and instead of "Ask" I have changed all to "Allow" only for Avast.

Will see if that keeps these new issues my pc is having at bay.

Funny that I haven't changed the firewall settings in ages and haven't had any problems until earlier this year.