Author Topic: Corruption  (Read 3001 times)

flashgamer001

Corruption
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:56:49 AM »
When I started up my Win7 Starter machine, I attempted logging in on a limited user account. It gave me an error about RPC not being able to connect to the account or something of that sort. It popped up with something about not being able to start Windows Error logging or similar. I logged into my admin account which gave me a taskbar, a recycle bin on black background, and a popup stating that the desktop was not accessible. I could not change the start menu to find run, i couldn't find cmd or run in all programs (odd in itself, considering they should be in accessories), and attempting to open windows search popped up a generic "not-found-or-wrong-permissions" error. At this point I rebooted into startup repair and chose command prompt. Running sfc /scannow immediately returned "Repair in progress. Reboot and run sfc /scannow again." I am now typing this from the same netbook, which is working perfectly and reports no system corruption.
What the heck just happened!?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Corruption
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »
Computer glitches, aren't they great.....
As long as everything is good now, heh :-)

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 03:58:58 AM »
" A big hiccup ".

Like Schmidthouse said if CHKDSK and sfc /scannow are OK, nothing to do now. Hope things run smoothly from now on.

flashgamer001

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 10:23:36 PM »
The best thing about oem it if you screw it up bad, you can factory restore, thankfully not necessary in this case. I'm thinking about some preventative measures now (bat file with sfc command to run about once a month using windows scheduled tasks). Suppose that'll do any good? I had a defrag file for similar purposes that I haven't replaced since last restore. Any ideas for scheduling on that one?

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 02:52:17 AM »
Why sfc /scannow ? That is for when you are really getting errors. You can run CHKDSK once a month and any good defrag third party program ( don' like Windows ) you wish every week or so.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-disk-de-fragmenter.htm
http://www.puransoftware.com/
http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »

I suggest the Puran Defrag as I've used it for a few years. It works quick, does a good job, and is easy to understand & use.

flashgamer001

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 12:03:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips. Meanwhile, more weirdness is happening. I opened a zip file I had downloaded earlier on a mac, and got an explorer window that was expected, as well as a prompt: "Please insert disk 3 of the media and press continue." Clicking cancel did nothing obvious except close the box. Is this because of the Mac thing or something else?
Also, Explorer kinda weirded out on me. Opening some programs showed the gray outline of windows 2000-type windows. Right-clicking caused windows to flash the 2000-type toolbar at me and then restart explorer, which is fine now.