Author Topic: Update Pop up Screens -Resolved  (Read 9054 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Update Pop up Screens
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 03:40:25 AM »
If your trying to get a screen shot perhaps if you go into "settings">>>pop-ups,,,and then change the amount of time your update pop-up remains,,you could get the screen shot,,,don't know if that will work but you can try it.

Shouldn't necessarily need a screenshot as the description of what is shown (my image Reply #4) should suffice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 04:25:49 AM »
Please excuse me, DavidR, but something you wrote has me wondering, so if I may ask for a clarification.

GTX66 wrote that he, "... got two updates within mintes of each other ..." and you responded with the "something" that has me wondering.

I don't think the frequency of the update has anything to do with it, as it had been many hours since the previous update notification.

I've been using Avast for six plus years and because of my location I get most updates right when the computers are turned on and I do not remember ever receiving two virus definition updates within minutes of each other.  If I had I am quite sure I would have asked about that here.

I can't understand your answer, DavidR.

Let's say, for example, we receive update 120905-1 and then two minutes later we receive 120905-2 and we are not to fret about that?  That is not unusual?  I'm sorry, I don't get it.

Sorry to trouble you and I'll thank you in advance for your attention to the question.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
Well the answer goes to the context of GTX66's reply "got two updates within mintes of each other" as if that multiple updates in a short time frame might be a contributing factor. Since it can happen in the normal time frame of updates, usually hours apart then the frequency of the update isn't a factor.

Yes you will generally will get your first update shortly after you start your system as there is an update check very shortly after you boot, this will have been many hours since your last update so one is more likely to be available after this duration. But it will also depend on what time you boot and your time zone.

The one thing that struck me is the frequency of the update, personally unless you have the paid version/s of avast, then you shouldn't get two virus definitions auto updates within two minutes as the default update check is 4 hours with a minimum setting of 2 hours. Even with the paid version/s of the lowest update check frequency should be greater than a few minutes. But even for whatever reason you are able to receive two in such a short frequency I wouldn't be concerned, but happy to receive it/them.

That after all is the purpose of the streaming updates, to push out urgent updates that shouldn't wait for the next regular VPS update.

You are only living up to your user name ManyQs ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ManyQs

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 03:43:45 PM »
I do apologize if I'm getting on your nerves, DavidR, but you've confused me even more by your mention of streaming updates.  I was not aware that we were discussing streaming updates.  I obviously wouldn't be the least bit concerned at receiving two of those with minutes of each other.

I thought the discussion was about the virus definition updates that show us a popup.  You seemed to slide from referring to those updates into the streaming updates in that post up there and I guess this might be getting too frustrating for the OP and I'll just back out of this thread.

Sorry.

AND I'm not sure how to read that last comment about my User ID.  If you hadn't used the word "only" I would not have been bothered, but with your use of "only" it strilkes me as a dig.  I thought being polite around here counted for something.  Haven't I been polite?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:48:43 PM by ManyQs »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Streaming updates are different and over and above the regular auto updates. You have to keep it in context with what has also been said and not in isolation.

"The one thing that struck me is the frequency of the update, personally unless you have the paid version/s of avast, then you shouldn't get two virus definitions auto updates within two minutes as the default update check is 4 hours with a minimum setting of 2 hours."

Essentially there shouldn't be two VPS updates in a few minutes, with the update delay duration of between 2 to 4 hours there shouldn't be an auto update check until after that delay. If for what ever reason there were two that would sort of imply some sense of urgency (the streaming updates are used in cases of urgency).

I think you are reading in something into my comment that isn't there, 'only' isn't having a dig as the sentence means the same with or without it. Perhaps it would be better if I didn't bother.

GTX66

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 03:38:57 AM »
I do not understand the confusion,this problem is resolved. I am now getting a full update window and have been since I made my last post. I have been using Avast since it had the cool blue round Icon and not this ugly
thing

Tetsuo

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »
I have been using Avast since it had the cool blue round Icon and not this ugly
thing

yeah, me too!  ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 01:35:25 PM »
I do not understand the confusion,this problem is resolved. I am now getting a full update window and have been since I made my last post.
Maybe you should go back to your first post then and add resolved to the topic title.