Author Topic: why the price difference between Home and Pro?  (Read 4956 times)

Xenomorph

why the price difference between Home and Pro?
« on: January 21, 2005, 07:29:46 AM »
sorry if its already been covered.

ive been a loyal avast! user for a while. ive had the free/home version installed for a while, and i've recommended it to others.

i thought that some day i might buy the Pro version.

with the Home version, you can just about every feature out there, for $0.
with the Pro version, you get some extras thrown in, and you pay $40 up front. you get updates for a year, right? does that mean virus definitions as well? with a 30% renewall discount, that means you pay $28 a year for updates... the free version, which cost nothing, gets free updates. if someone was nice enough to pay for the Pro version, they have to then pay for what the Home users get free?

what am i missing?

i know $40 + $28 + $28 (etc) isnt a big deal compared to the $500 cost of Office or Photoshop, but its still not pocket change either.

Gillie2tat

Re: why the price difference between Home and Pro?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:22:27 AM »
The Pro version can be put on a computer which is being used for commercial purposes, whereas the Home version you're only supposed to use if you're not making any money off your computer.  Basically you're paying for a business license.  At least I think that's it.

housi

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »
Hi
IMHO the answer of Gillie2tat is ok. I'm using Avast! on my home-computer as a (retired) private person. Nevertheless I've the Pro-version, because I think, a good thing shoud be supported, an in my "active life" I also have worked for earnings and not for free.
But this is my totally private opinion.  :)
Sincerely
housi

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:34:34 AM »
One of the Alwil team mentioned on these forums that they are considering an avast 4 Home Pro version. No pricing was mentioned at the time, but I believe it could be used on more than one PC in the home (provided the not-business use applies) on the same licence.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 12:02:24 PM »
The Pro version can be put on a computer which is being used for commercial purposes, whereas the Home version you're only supposed to use if you're not making any money off your computer.  Basically you're paying for a business license.  At least I think that's it.

Yes, that's true - Home version could be used for home non-commercial usage only.
There are slight differences between Home and Pro versions (only Pro has the Enhanced interface, push mail works only in Pro etc). There is a complete description of differences on our website.

Pavel

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 01:16:34 PM »
And Pro version uses better update system (it's faster on outbreaks). Home edition uses traditional interval checking for new updates.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog