Author Topic: Resident protection  (Read 11602 times)

satman1212000

Re: Resident protection
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 12:18:46 PM »
Just done repair, it told me dowloading package and do I want to restart windows ?

No package was downloaded - then it comes up programme not responding - end task

and locks up computor.

two questions  - should I see avast in my start up items (sys Config utility)

-  all norton is removed from registry but might the two entries in my          start up be causing a conflict

Gillie2tat

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 12:43:27 PM »
If there are Symantec entries in your startup disable them, yes they could be causing a problem.  Do you have any other Symantec programs on your computer?

If you do not have any other Symantec programs on your computer, go to Start-Run and type msconfig, press Enter, or OK then click on the Startup tab, uncheck any Symantec/Norton entries.  Restart your computer then try repairing Avast again then restart once more to see if the changes take effect correctly.

I suspect Windows ME is part of the issue here, certain parts of Avast such as the Boot Time Scan do not work on Windows ME and I think the experts such as Technical and DavidR will need to continue here. if disabling the Norton remnants via the msconfig screen doesn't work.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 01:10:11 PM by Gillie2tat »

satman1212000

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 02:57:02 PM »
You could be correct in that this is a Windows problem

I have tried as you suggest -

Unfortunately even tho I have removed all of Norton from the registry  manually I have two entries that I can not shift

Nav agent

NProtect.     

I can delete, clean, apply  and they go  but when I go msconfig again they are back

The other strange anomoly is that I can anyway get the start up utility to go normal start up

If I reinstall  Avast  from the net it works fine one time then it stops. But if I unistall and reinstall from the computor it will not place any thing in the tray.

I am rapidly running out of ideas and patience

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 03:16:12 PM »
I thought that it was remnants of Norton but I have removed every link to Symantec and Norton that is possible (can not remove one entry from registry it appears to be protected)

Octaiver Matt tried to give me a work around but I cannot mange to carry out his registry edit instruction and get the entry correct.

I know that you are using ME, however in XP if you can't delete a registry key, it is because you don't have permission. You can however, take possession (add yourself to list permitted to edit/delete, etc), this is achieved by right clicking on the registry key and selecting Permissions...

Check and see if there is something similar in ME.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gillie2tat

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 03:25:53 PM »
Have you tried this suggestion from my earlier postings?

You don't say which version of Norton you had but have you run the Symantec removal tool? you should be able to download it from their site.  I can't find the one you should use because I don't know the version of Norton Antivirus that you had.

Also are you running any other Symantec products?  If not, you can remove Symantec Live Update and the Reg Update program from the Add or Remove Programs list.

satman1212000

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »
Hi Gillie - Yes I have tried all your sugestions

I have not used the Symantec removal tool because I did not have the problem it associates with -  ie I did not have problem running the uninstall.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2005, 05:02:51 PM »
Yes but it's left bits of itself behind which you are finding impossible to remove from the registry which means the uninstall didn't work correctly.

I would suggest downloading and running the Symantec uninstall utility from their site, and then you should follow DavidR's suggestion above if the uninstall tool does not work.

satman1212000

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2005, 07:34:04 PM »
Gilly ran the symantec removal tool and it has not removed the remaining reg keys,

It would seem that it is impossible to completely remove Nortron once it is insatalled.

satman1212000

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 07:39:52 PM »
Spent too much time tryiing to get it to work,  now decided avast is not for me. I will maybe try it again at some later date.

In the meantime I will go to another free AV

Thanks to all for your help

Regards