Author Topic: Avast 4.x scanner slooowww!??  (Read 17071 times)

philbobilbo

Avast 4.x scanner slooowww!??
« on: January 22, 2005, 12:32:25 AM »
Here's my specs:

Win 98 SE (all critical patches)
latest Avast
HDD=11.3 GB o'data

I'm wondering why Avast is such a slow scanner.   Yes, I put the settings on it to be "thorough" and "Scan archives", but it took an hour and 23 minutes to complete!  So, what should be the "normal" scan settings?  I like the program, but can't give it a thumbs up because of the slow scanner.  For comparison, AVG6 used to take 11 min; Antivir about 30.   

Look forward to your posts.  Thanks.

Octávio Brazilian

Re: Avast 4.x scanner slooowww!??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 01:16:28 AM »
The others antiviruses products not scan compressed archives, result in a faster scan.
Do you have a Games installed?

philbobilbo

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 08:54:38 AM »
Ah, Matt, so if I follow you, turning off the "Scan Archives" will take care of the issues regarding speed.   Not sure I understand what you mean by "Games installed" though;  this PC is old enough that I haven't used it as a "game machine" since probably late 2002.  If you are asking whether or not I turned off everything else in the background but Explorer and Systray, I turned everything off except Sygate Personal Firewall.   I've read in other posts you CAN scan with Avast in Safe Mode, so perhaps I'll give that a shot and note any speed differences.   

Octávio Brazilian

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 10:57:07 AM »
Ah, Matt, so if I follow you, turning off the "Scan Archives" will take care of the issues regarding speed.   Not sure I understand what you mean by "Games installed" though;  this PC is old enough that I haven't used it as a "game machine" since probably late 2002.  If you are asking whether or not I turned off everything else in the background but Explorer and Systray, I turned everything off except Sygate Personal Firewall.   I've read in other posts you CAN scan with Avast in Safe Mode, so perhaps I'll give that a shot and note any speed differences.   

I ask you of the games, because games haves archives with extensions complicateds and scan achives of the games is slow.
Try scan in boot with avast.
Menu> Shedule a boot scan

One ask:
This time 1:30 is in normal mode? Try "faster" mode....

Goodbye!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 10:59:51 AM by Octaiver Matt »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 11:08:50 AM »
Tell us your memory and CPU setup...
Archive scanning can be a killer task for Win9x and slow hardware...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

philbobilbo

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 10:03:59 PM »
Yeah, it's a sled by today's standards:

800 PIII
256MB memory

I'm guessing that's the deal.   I'll do a scan in Safe Mode exactly the way I did in normal mode and let you know the results.  Should be informative for everyone with an older PC.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 10:29:44 PM »
It's the Win98 which causes the slowdowns...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

NemesiS

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 05:52:44 PM »
My avast scanner is also slow, very slow. I have the new version and with the old one wasnt that slow and i have XP sp2. i dunno ???

Gillie2tat

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 06:04:59 PM »
I have Windows XP SP2 on a Pentium IV 3.19 Mhz with 250 GB drive and 1 GB RAM and 400,000 plus files (25 GB worth of files) and it takes about an hour and a half to two hours to scan that lot with Thorough scan selected and archives checked.

Yes it's slow but better safe than sorry:) and that is a serious amount of data which I do back up regularly.

Fast

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 06:23:17 PM »
Hi guys, can anyone of you tell me why I should enable the scanning of archives ? I mean, as soon an archive is unpacked, this will be noticed by the guard. So why scanning packed archives ?
Also, some rocketscientist told me that scanning archives was not recommended because it could cause everlasting copying. But he wasn't able to explain to me why (because I didn't "get" it, too dumb I guess ;D  ) 
Could you explain this perhaps ?

Fast.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 06:32:21 PM »
I enable scanning of archives every time because once or twice in the past Avast has caught an archive file which had become infected somehow - probably something I downloaded deciding to piggy back on my files - and it meant I could delete it with no risk of the computer becoming infected as on each occasion the infected files have been in My Documents when found in this way.  As I'd' backed the relevant files up and had clean versions, there was no problem.

That's quite true about Avast spotting stuff that's infected if it runs, but it can't necessarily deal with trojans - it really is an antivirus which is why the free cleaning tool is available - and it's better to stop these before they get started if you can.

To answer your other question - way back in May of last year I had a major problem with a trojan file which downloaded an archive file into my Windows System file and which then every time Avast was run caused Avast to duplicate its .dmp archive files.  I ended up having to delete these files manually and was very lucky that I could resolve it this way.

I suspect what your "rocketscientist" meant was that some antiviruses may cache files which they scan - I don't know the full answer on that one and maybe one of the others can answer in more detail.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 06:36:51 PM by Gillie2tat »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 06:35:21 PM »
Slow is very subjective, it depends on your system, ram, cpu, avast settings, programs running in the background. With little or no information it is virtually impossible to suggest a course of action.

I would however review what programs there are running in the background and stop those not required. I would also suggest running HiJackThis as it will show exactly what is running, use an on-line scan of your Hijackthis log file try here http://hijackthis.de/index.php to identify what is adware/spyware, not essential, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Octávio Brazilian

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 06:42:30 PM »
I Have a 10gb in files, and my KAV scan in 3 hours!!  >:(  ;)
Athlon XP 1700+
40GB Seagate 5.600 RPM.
256 Dimm

Avast its very faster, avast here scan in  40 min maximum mode.
In Windows ME too here 40min....

Gillie2tat

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 06:44:16 PM »
Don't see anything nasty in my logfiles but you never know -

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2005, 07:23:23 PM »
You need to attach it as a .txt file, that way it will open in the browser window.

For an on-line scan of your Hijackthis log file try here http://hijackthis.de/index.php
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security