Author Topic: New Multi-SMTP support...how?  (Read 5799 times)

Gu3

New Multi-SMTP support...how?
« on: September 12, 2003, 05:03:39 AM »
All,
I saw in the release notes that the program now supports multiple SMTP servers.

Good news.  However nothing in the help file (as of this moment) describes how to do anything other than set up an unsupported mail application (via the default smtp server settings).  In fact the help file doesn't look to have changed to address any of the new features.  

Also, is "The Bat!" now one of the supported mail programs?  I've a SPAM tool daisychained (K9) as a secondary proxy, so I'm reluctant to run the Mail Wizard to completion unless I'm sure.

Any suggestions?

Thanks...
Scott

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:New Multi-SMTP support...how?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2003, 12:27:04 PM »
Good news.  However nothing in the help file (as of this moment) describes how to do anything other than set up an unsupported mail application (via the default smtp server settings).  In fact the help file doesn't look to have changed to address any of the new features.

Well, it has changed, but it's probably too buried to be found...  In the "Manual setting of mail protection", do a search for the word "authentication" - this is how it works, actually (by turning on the SMTP authentication, just like in POP3).

HTH,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Emdis

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2003, 05:13:27 PM »
Sorry but even with your answer Vlk, I still get stuck with the setup of multiple smtp servers ...

Ok here is what I have in my avast4.ini
DefaultPopServer=my_pop.server.com
DefaultSmtpServer=my_smtp.server.com

Now I have to add the line:
UseDefaultSmtp=0

and I have to activate in my email client  the SMTP authentication feature.
Ok it's done but what now ?
Do I have to add lines (kind of DefaultSmtpServer=my_smtp2.server.com) in order to identify my second smtp server ?

Thanks in advance ;)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2003, 05:17:01 PM »
No actually the recognition is done using the credentials that the mail client posts to the server (this is why we're turning on the authorization, to tell avast "who's knocking", just like in the POP server case).

See http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1001 for more info...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Emdis

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2003, 05:39:51 PM »
Thank you ! :) everything is running fine now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2003, 05:54:12 PM »
Thanks avast! team!  ;)
Version 4.1.260 does its job!  :-*
Works perfectly with multi-smtp users and Incredimail!!!  8)
The best things in life are free.

Gu3

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2003, 03:47:40 AM »
VLK,

Thanks! I must admit it took me a few minutes to understand what you were getting at, but once I realized (in no small part to others questions, and the thread you referred to!) exactly what you were explaining, all went extremely well!

Might I suggest that ALWIL or perhaps a users group produce some FAQ's that address specific Mail Client software (like Incredimail and The Bat!) that require specific manual configurations?

Screen shots and explanations would be a nice feature.  I don't hesitate to reccomend Avast! to my friends, but many would be put off by the complexity of configuring it with Non-Outlook clients, especially when one compares it with the transparency of something like NAV (although I don't think it handles outgoing), or even Zone Alarm's virtually invisible attachment scanner...

For me, I'm here to stay.  Avast! Is awesome.

Thanks again!