Author Topic: 2005 Thinkpad - older, speedier Avast version?  (Read 2337 times)

gponym

2005 Thinkpad - older, speedier Avast version?
« on: September 08, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »
I have run Avast happily for a few years on my Thinkpad X40 (Pentium M 1.2 GHz; 2 or 2.5 GB RAM; Win XP SP2) but this summer (either June or early August, I can't recall) it appears that after installing one of the periodic Avast software upgrades, the X40 runs significantly slower at times.  I first noticed it when opening Excel, but that's not the only time it slows down.

I want to keep using this X40 for quite awhile (years) to come and I'd like to have some protection.  The latest Avast appears to be a bit too heavy for it.  I've wondered if the older, faster Avast version could still be utilized.  I also stumbled across the "sandbox" products out there but have not really investigated them.

Any thoughts?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: 2005 Thinkpad - older, speedier Avast version?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:49:20 AM »
Thinkpad X40 (Pentium M 1.2 GHz; 2 or 2.5 GB RAM; Win XP SP2)
i recomend you upgrade to SP3

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010   http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

gponym

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
I agree:  installing SP3 is a good idea.  I've put it off and put if off, never wanting to risk the system becoming unavailable due to registering as a false positive on the Windows Genuine Advantage radar.  (While all is legal on my system, I bought from a 3rd party way back when and so have no paper trail back to a bona fide retailer.)  Just re-researched the WGA and it still sounds like it could become a nightmare.  So maybe I'm one more test case of what happens if you do nothing to XP for ten years.  :-)

Alievitan

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
Have you tried downloading Microsoft essentials from the Microsoft store? It tests for genuine Windows, and I don't believe it will disable anything if it isn't.  It just won't allow you to download MSE.  IF you can use and download MSE, then I would assume you pass all genuine test. 

Also in the past I have run into WGA issues on Windows XP machines, it doesn't lock your desktop, it just has a really annoying constant prompt and blacks out your desktop to let you know you have a problem.  You can still rollback via windows restore, and are able to use your computer while you get the license issue sorted out. 

gponym

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:06:33 PM »
Much obliged for reporting on your experience with MSE.  I had just decided to give it a try and wondered about WGA.  Just now tried MSE install and it starts by requiring Filter Manager Rollup ('cause I run SP2); decided to retreat until I have time to deal with wherever this might lead.  Will do so next month I have finished with some current critical tasks.  For about the first time I wish I had  a second Windows instance (at home), like a legitimate but cheap XP install CD, would remove a lot of fear, but that's off-topic.  Thanks.