Author Topic: XanaNews Newsreader problems  (Read 4195 times)

wilky1

XanaNews Newsreader problems
« on: September 10, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
Hi anyone had a problem with Avast Internet Security 6 regarding XanaNews Newsreader or any Newsreader. I can See and add headings but cannot download heading items or items within the headings. I get a Socket error #10053 - Software caused connection abort. Usual previous version of Avast I had to  open the Mail Shield go to Expert Settings and uncheck 'Scan Newsgroup Messages (NTTP) and everything worked fine under this new version this does not work. Anyone got any ideas. I asked support but but I think everyone is on holidays or it is too complicated for them. Cheers.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: XanaNews Newsreader problems
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
Hi anyone had a problem with Avast Internet Security 6 regarding XanaNews Newsreader or any Newsreader.
we are at avast 7 now   ;)

wilky1

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
Sorry yes I am using version 7.0.1466

wilky1

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
 :-\Hi got a reply from Avast Support. I was told to disable Avast. How is that virus protection? Why use an antivirus if you have to turn it off to use a newsreader. I would have thought I would have got better support than that. I just hope whoever answered my query that they passed it on to their code programmers so that protection can be built into Avast when using a newsreader.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 04:23:05 PM »
An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. This normally results if the peer application on the remote host is suddenly stopped, the host is rebooted, the host or remote network interface is disabled, or the remote host uses a hard close (see setsockopt for more information on the SO_LINGER option on the remote socket). This error may also result if a connection was broken due to keep-alive activity detecting a failure while one or more operations are in progress. Operations that were in progress fail with WSAENETRESET. Subsequent operations fail with WSAECONNRESET.
This is the decode for that error.  Could this be related ?  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=105526.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »
I suspect it could be related if XanaNews Newsreader isn't using NNTP protocol over the NNTP port 119, which the Mail Shield (for nntp port) would expect. I guess that could possibly cause a socket error if it is unable to connect.

Though the option to ignore the port used for XanaNews Newsreader is a better option than not scanning the NNTP port at all and totally better than the support suggestion to disable avast (rather than the mail shield or just nntp scanning).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

wilky1

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
Sorry about not replying to anyone but the wife had a bad fall and was hospitalised for some time. Thanks everyone who replied to my query but alas none of those suggestions worked and ubfortunately Avast Help has not bothered to add to their reply of disabling Avast and downloading without protection. Looks like I may have to change to a more uptodate Antivirus Programme any suggestions by anyone to which you consider to look seriously at a paid consumer's query?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
As I said above I believe the problem is "XanaNews Newsreader isn't using NNTP protocol over the NNTP port 119," unfortunately I don't use any newsreader so have no experience/knowledge of how XanaNews Newsreader works.

I'm a little surprised that my suggestion in Reply #2 of the link given by essexboy didn't work as essentially that would be excluding that IP address being used by XanaNews Newsreader from being scanned by the Mail Shield.

Can you post the full text of the error as I suspect that there is more than just the "Socket error #10053 - Software caused connection abort" and this may help.

There is also the question of if XanaNews Newsreader or your news server is using/requires SSL ?

I think that avast support weren't suggesting disabling avast completely but not scanning the NNTP traffic for XanaNews Newsreader or NNTP in general.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security