Author Topic: skin updated automaticaly ?  (Read 6540 times)

Falcon

skin updated automaticaly ?
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:23:43 PM »
Hi,

I noticed, that when I remove basic skins (Silver panel, shadox fist, teak zepplin) and when I make an update, these skins are regenerated automaticaly in the skin folder. I want to remove these skins which are very ugly and which take place on my hard drive.

Can everyone please tell me how to remove these skin defintively and make them not to appear again when I update avast ?

Thanks a lot,

Best regards

PS : It should be great if the default skin could be for example one like MacloverOS instead of the silver one. I know a lot of people who delete avast after installing it because the skin was no beautiful, but I was here to make them coming back and show them that iti is the best AV software in the world.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: skin updated automaticaly ?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 11:27:38 PM »
I want to remove these skins which are very ugly and which take place on my hard drive.
Ugly? That is just a matter of taste. Some like them others don't. But at the end it is YOU who decides to install them/use them or not.

Removing?
Just remove the files, that is all you have to do.

Silver panel?
That is the 'standard skin' for the simple user interface. Buy Avast and use the enhached usr interface if you don't like the skins.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 11:29:31 PM by Eddy »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »
Skins you listed are coming with standard avast! package. They will never be removed. I didn't make those skins, Martin Novak made them, and I appreciate his effort... so, telling that those skins are ugly is nothing but nonsense. I know how much time needs to be put into making skins for avast!. Maybe they are not your favorite skins, but certainly they are not ugly.

Anyway, how much memory do they take up on your HD ? Is it noticeable ? Believe me, you won't even notice they6 are there, unless you still have 4 Gb HD.

Back to default avast! skin... again, it's more than likely it's not gonna happen ever. Martin Novak is Alwil's graphic designer, so it's natural that default skin is made by him. It's wouldn't be fair to Martin if Alwil make some other guy's skin as default. Also, it's impossible, Martin probably have contract with Alwil, and that's how things goes. I made 18 additional skins, Martin also made bunch of skins, RejZor made one, and Darren made one... so I guess something for everyone. Even those which hate avast! skins, should be happy, because now, they can choose skinless interface.

Abandoning avast!, one of best antiviruses out there, just because they don't like default avast! skin, is stupid. What are they looking ? Good antivirus protection or something third ? Anyway, none of those skins in download section, whoever made them, can be characterized as ugly. None of those skins have any single bug or anything like that... so they shouldn't complain at all... they should try some other antiviruses, and then they can judge. They will not get free technical support, even for freeware version of avast!, they will certainly not get those skins, and best or worst of all, they will not get as good protection, as avast! can offer...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Falcon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 11:37:55 PM »
Ok thanks, but I remove these files, but when a make an update of the database, thse files are downliade again and they appear again in the skin folder. I don't want them to be downloaded when I make an updae of my database. For example, a few minutes ago, my database was already updated. I choose to update it again. It told me that my database was already updated, but when I check the avast4\data\skin folder, I saw these skins appear.

I don't want the download of the database making these 3 skins being downloaded.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 11:51:18 PM »
Ok thanks, but I remove these files, but when a make an update of the database, thse files are downliade again and they appear again in the skin folder
No they are not, unless it is the deafault skin for the simple interface.

For example, a few minutes ago, my database was already updated. I choose to update it again. It told me that my database was already updated, but when I check the avast4\data\skin folder, I saw these skins appear
It is obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Updating what? Avast or the VPS? If you talk about the vps, it has nothing to do with how Avast is functioning or looking.
What 'skin' you are using for the 'simple user interface' is something YOU must decide.

Why not learn how a application is working before talking BS?

Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 12:29:27 AM »
Ok thanks, but I remove these files, but when a make an update of the database, thse files are downliade again and they appear again in the skin folder
No they are not, unless it is the deafault skin for the simple interface.

Eddy, I find on my installation that the default skins ARE downloaded againĀ  ???

It is obviously you don't know what you are talking about. Updating what? Avast or the VPS? If you talk about the vps, it has nothing to do with how Avast is functioning or looking.

And... (again I'm talking about my installation, in case there is an error) the default skins return on a VPS update. In fact even a manual check when the VPS is already up to dateĀ  ???

Why not learn how a application is working before talking BS?

Give the deleting a try.

BTW.. do some skins force a de-mute of the sound card ?.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 12:47:28 AM by Walker »

Falcon

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 12:37:22 AM »
It was not my inention to make a bad comentaries on people who made this work to giving us skin, even if it is a question of teaste. I respect everyone who bring anything to this community, lso I apologize if I hurt anybody and I repeat it, it was not my intention.

Walker, thanks for your answer, I was not dreaming.

Eddy, you can try it. For example use the Maclover skin, delete all other skins and click on the Iavs (update virus database), come back to the skin folder and you will see that others skins were downloaded. May be I am a newbie in this perfect anti virus, but I can see it and cn't explain it.

If you have any response, thaks for it.

Best regards,

Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 12:42:11 AM »
Falcon,

I haven't tried it.. you may want to. But you can try un-ticking the box in settings that say's something like... use skins in simple interface. Perhaps this setting will prevent the continualy downloading of the skins.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 12:48:54 AM »
Can everyone please tell me how to remove these skin defintively and make them not to appear again when I update avast ?

I think it will be only possible in the next avast version... But, anyway, I think at least three skin will be there 'by default'.
IMHO, it's not wise abandon avast because one specific skin... Will the user do the same for RealOne, WinAmp, etc? Will the user abandon Windows because of the login and logoff screens?  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 01:19:37 AM »
BTW.. do some skins force a de-mute of the sound card ?.

No that I am aware of. There is no such a option in SkinBuilder, so none of us (skin designers) could do that purposely. Maybe that's one more bug in SkinBuilder, but certainly it "works" in background... we can not control it anyhow.

Personaly, I haven't noticed anything like that. I can MUTE windows sounds/music using my Microsoft keyboard (see attachment), but no matter which of those skins I use, sound stays muted untill I activate sound output again...

I think it will be only possible in the next avast version... But, anyway, I think at least three skin will be there 'by default'.

Most likely 4... Vlk told me they will include one of my skins (SZC-KDE) in standard avast! package... yeepee!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Falcon

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2005, 11:28:36 AM »
ok, thanks all for your answers.

However, I don't understand why an update of the virus database makes the soft downloading skins ? It is useless, for exammple for people who have not DSL connection. If somebody have only a classical modem and he deleted skins, he will have about 15minutes to download all the skin.

I could be great if in a future release of Avast, downloading skin when making an update of the virus database was not activated.

Best regards,

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »
I could be great if in a future release of Avast, downloading skin when making an update of the virus database was not activated.

I won't say it could but it surely would... The vps update must be only this: database update... not skins  :P
The best things in life are free.