Author Topic: Internet Mail Problem  (Read 4164 times)

almostfrugal

Internet Mail Problem
« on: January 22, 2005, 09:22:17 PM »
I just installed avast! 4.5 on my computer.  When I connect to the Internet through my modem, avast! checks my Outlook Express incoming and outgoing mail exactly as expected.  However, when I connect to the Internet through my phoneline home network and Internet Connection Sharing on another computer, Outlook Express cannot connect to my pop or smtp servers.  A window pops up requesting my userid and password.  The userid already entered is in the form "myuserid#pop.email.net".  I am running Windows 98se, Outlook Express 5.

I have searched through avast! help and this forum and I can't find any posts dealing with this.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Internet Mail Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 09:24:14 PM »
- reset avast4.ini to its default settings
- setup the mail as if Avast isn't there
- run the mail protection wizzard

Let us know if this solved the problem.

almostfrugal

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »
I hate to ask a dumb question, but how do I reset avast4.ini?

Here's some more information on my problem.  Normally, if I have not already connected to the Internet through Internet Connection Sharing, Outlook Express will force the connection when I send/receive mail.  When I send/receive with avast! settings in my Outlook Express account, it immediately gives me the userid password error and popup, without even trying to connect using Internet Connection Sharing.  That makes it seem like I'm not even getting through my home network.  Thanks again.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 10:47:33 PM »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 12:57:26 AM »
I hate to ask a dumb question, but how do I reset avast4.ini?

I think on page 4 at that thread there's the 'default' values... you can copy and paste.
Anyway, if you 'delete' avast4.ini file and ask for a program update, it will be rebuilt  ;)
The best things in life are free.

almostfrugal

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:28:22 AM »
I figured it out.  My home network software is WinGate.  When I installed avast!, three applications were automatically added to my Wingate Internet Client to be treated specially:  RPCSS.EXE, ASHMAISV.EXE, and ASHPOPWZ.EXE.  The special trreatment was set to "local access".  I changed all three of them to "mixed access", meaning they are only accessible from my home network, but they can have global access to other machines.  Now Outlook Express is able to signon to my account to send and receive mail through avast!.

When I discovered that Outlook Express wasn't even trying to connect through Internet Connection Sharing, as I mentioned in my earlier post, it gave me a clue that my Wingate Internet Client was stopping the process, so I experimented a little.  Thanks for helping me think it out.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:34:19 AM »
Since you have 98se, you don't need Sygate for the network.
(INFO)

almostfrugal

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 02:03:16 PM »
I haven't been particularly happy with Wingate as my home network software, so I decided to try your suggestion of using the Internet Connection Shariing software that is built in to Windows 98se.  Yesterday I uninstalled Wingate and installed ICS.  That is all it took to convince me that Wingate is actually better than I thought.  Wingate allowed me both to connect and to disconnect from a networked computer (not the ICS host computer), where Windows 98se ICS only allowed me to connect.  I had to perform the disconnect on the ICS host computer.  Also, I run Bellsouth Internet Call Waiting software on my ICS host computer.  It works well with Wingate, but has an ip address conflict problem with Windows 98se ICS.  So I've switched back to Wingate, and now I'm a happy camper again.