Author Topic: Why does rescue disk cost money?  (Read 5475 times)

HS2234

Why does rescue disk cost money?
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »
Avast is a good av an all but its a bit weird that the rescue disk costs  money, whereas all other free av's rescue disk cost are free

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Why does rescue disk cost money?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »
why dont all vendors make a free AV?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »
I have no idea why, but considering that it may use something like winPE to run outside of windows there is a license fee which avast have to pay.

It is also on CD not a downloadable .iso file.

Of course you don't have to buy it, but considering its predecessor the avast Bart CD cost around US$ 99+ and not US$9.99 plus tax and postage, isn't so unreasonable, well I don't think so. But then again I don't feel I need it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

HS2234

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
AVG is free and it has free disk...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:08:19 PM »
That is neither here nor there in why the avast one isn't free.

If A V G aren't using winPE, etc. then there would be no license fee.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

BrunSteve

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:30 PM »
The company has to make money somehow, though at ten bucks a copy I doubt they are getting rich off the recovery disk. I'm just grateful they offer the free antivirus program!

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »
Avast used to have a rescue disk intended for support personnel that was a good deal more expensive http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2363533,00.asp

Don't know how the content compares to their present offering.

Nesivos

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 03:58:27 PM »
I have no idea why, but considering that it may use something like winPE to run outside of windows there is a license fee which avast have to pay.

It is also on CD not a downloadable .iso file.

Of course you don't have to buy it, but considering its predecessor the avast Bart CD cost around US$ 99+ and not US$9.99 plus tax and postage, isn't so unreasonable, well I don't think so. But then again I don't feel I need it.

I can't believe Bill Gates is still making money from MS-DOS ;D LOL

true indian

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
LOOL...with over 151+ million users you dont expect avast to give away a rescue disk for free...I mean even they need to make some money off their pocket  ;D

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has had the need to use the Avast Rescue Disk? If so, how the process went.
Any issues implementing or recommendations realized?
Thanks  :)

Nesivos

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has had the need to use the Avast Rescue Disk? If so, how the process went.
Any issues implementing or recommendations realized?
Thanks  :)

I had one situation that it may have helped if I had it.   I tried all the Windows restore, refresh, recovery options to no avail.  I was running W8-RP at the time of the problem.  Since I wanted to go back to W7-SP1 before installing W8-RTM I decided to install Ubuntu in the wipe out all Windows mode.  Ubuntu installed fine and I played around with it on that computer for a couple of weeks.  I was and am still using Ubuntu on my Netbook so I have some basic knowledge in installing and using Ubuntu.

Then after a couple of weeks I did an install of W7 from the re-installation CD with Windows reformatting the entire internal HDD before installing W7.  Everything went fine.  It just took about a half a day to get Windows 7 installed and updated (150+ updates) and another half a day to get all my apps re-installed.  Everything has worked fine since.

I would not recommend anyone use this method if they can't get Windows to boot.   However, in extreme cases where nothing else will work this worked fine for me.   I don't know if the avast! Rescue disk would have worked.  However, since I was going to to a clean install of W7 anyway all is well that ended well.

Davy

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 12:00:13 AM »
When I had Norton it kept going a darn sight odder than pear shaped, one month I had to re-format twice... two months later I had to remove Norton and re-install it - I said enough!

From that day on I ditched Norton and kept a clone copy of my C drive updating when I felt I need to.  So any problems at all I could either re-clone or swap the hard drives over. Keeping a cloned copy is better than any rescue disk...

If the hard drive goes kaput the rescue disc will be pretty pointless, any disc will be pretty pointless!  A clone will save the day and this all could be done on a external USB drive.

Read any forum about about people losing their hard drive and wanting to get the data back! Take an OEM machine that has a copy of the installation image in a hidden partition..... lose the hard drive and you've lost that if you haven't made a copy.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:02:18 AM by Davy »