Author Topic: Avast Support ?  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Inteli

Avast Support ?
« on: September 14, 2012, 05:20:05 AM »
I spoke to avast support trying to get assistance in removing malware and also ensuring my system is not infected..

It came down to me having to pay $160.00 for an annual support package or $99 for a one time support package so the representative could remote to my system and run their tasks.

I also inquired about getting assistance through these forums in the "virus and worms" section and the representative advised me that it would be unsafe to do so as anyone could post links and recommend non-credible downloads. This concerned me very much and now i feel left in the cold

Why is malware removal assistance not simultaneously included to paid users that purchase avast products/services? Purchasing an antivirus product is a first line defense and every corporation that provides an antivirus service knows that infection is still possible when users are protected and using their product....So why is malware removal/cleaning not included and over priced if the product purchased does not completely protect its users.

Is there any other option for assistance i am missing?

I didnt intend for this post to be a complaint. I just want a safe, credible, and cost effective way to ensure my system is clean and not infected with a trojan (avast notified me a trojan was blocked through the file shield). Any suggestions??

I submitted a ticket for assistance but received no response.. is there a turn around time frame  for this?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:24:20 AM by Inteli »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast Support ?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
Is there any other option for assistance i am missing?
yes .....this forum.  ;).    and all help is free

I didnt intend for this post to be a complaint. I just want a safe, credible, and cost effective way to ensure my system is clean and not infected with a trojan (avast notified me a trojan was blocked through the file shield). Any suggestions??
go to the virus and worms section, start a topic there and explain your problem

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
hi Inteli,

To help ease your concerns about getting help here, we have certified volunteer malware experts, all of whom have undergone extensive training in a school such as UNITE or other such. 

If one is not certified, one is not allowed to give malware removal guidance to a user such as yourself.

One such is essexboy, who happens to be a teacher in malware analysis and removal.

I also inquired about getting assistance through these forums in the "virus and worms" section and the representative advised me that it would be unsafe to do so as anyone could post links and recommend non-credible downloads. This concerned me very much and now i feel left in the cold

This comment made by the representative likely was self-serving, as the point may have been to get you to pay for his business.

Normal turn around time is usually one day or less; this depends on differing time zone factors, as our malware experts live in different parts of the world, and take the time to volunteer the help needed when they are not working at their other job(s).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 01:01:13 PM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

AdrianH

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:09:07 PM »
Are you sure this was avast! support?   I cannot imagine them telling you not to come here for help as this is the official support forum and is visited by staff every day.

Ticket support is available from the website. It sounds more like iYogi who are no longer contracted to assist with avast.

true indian

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »
I Just Hope he hasn't fallen in the hands of Iyogi though they no more support avast! :-\

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »
I am not aware that avast is using iYogi again.
If you wish to file a complaint contact Adam Riley....Riley(at)avast(dot)com 
Explain your situation to him in as much detail as possible.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

They aren't, I said it sounds like iYogi, certainly can't believe that anyone in avast would say anything like what the OP had thrown at him. The forum is clearly listed as a source of support on the main website and nowhere do avast say they are going to charge for support that I have seen.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

They aren't, I said it sounds like iYogi, certainly can't believe that anyone in avast would say anything like what the OP had thrown at him. The forum is clearly listed as a source of support on the main website and nowhere do avast say they are going to charge for support that I have seen.
The forums should always be the first stop. And they are free.  8)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.