Author Topic: BIG problem: Avast Net Client Service is making PCs Freeze when loading desktop!  (Read 35845 times)

nannunannu

traditional disk here... 

wpn

since the system is jamming on both types of disks i guess its needed to do windows remote debugging during startup, which is a cool thing to do but cant explain how here and the devs are way faster with it.

i reported the thread to a moderator.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:20:10 PM by wpn »

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
Hi I just do some test and have the same problem in XP, but with safe mode I can login.

I do delete the username from the save mode then create the new one then login in normal mode and success login
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

MarKvi

Hi
Did you already try to contact our suport in this case? It would be great to have some more detailed information like:
1 - Log files from the managed client machine + Components.ini,avast5.ini and xml files for snx and firewall
2 - Does the same problem appear even the EP product is not connected to EA? Make sure you did not distribute settings e.g. Firewall settings, which could block other installed/running apps on the system..

Hi Again.

I'm having a big problem with the service: "avast! Net Client Service" - We have about 15 computers all running Windows 7 - 64 bit and we have 2 Windows XP machines.

The problem is - computers are freezing when you start them up and they are almost done loading all services, desktop icons etc. And I have found the problem to be "avast! Net Client Service" since if I disable this service: then no computers are having any problems booting whatsoever, but as soon as i start it again if i boot up all 17 computers at the same time then I can be sure at least 3-4 will be hanging upon start up at the desktop screen.

As you can see from this old post this is not my first problem with the avast! Net Client Service:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82112.0

However - the problem now is even more annoying! And the only solution i have found so far has been to disable the avast! Net Client Service on the local PCs - however this is far from optimal since i cannnot then update settings or view the status of the computers.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:04:55 PM by MarKvi »

nannunannu

2 - Does the same problem appear even the EP product is not connected to EA? Make sure you did not distribute settings e.g. Firewall settings, which could block other installed/running apps on the system..

Another data point...  We use SOA to manage the clients.  So this issue is not dependant on the management console/version and occurs with SOA and EA when using the 7.0.1455 client (we had it with the pervious v7 release as well but have reproduced it with the latest code available).

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
Can you attach the AvastNet.log located in:
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\log

nannunannu

There are only 4 unique entries in that log.  The ScheduleBootTimeScan repeats frequently, the StartScan repeats daily.  The others are login requests and response that in my logs always come in pairs...  Example:

Code: [Select]
09/04/2012, 19:16:11    LoginRequest in Reconnected callback
09/04/2012, 19:16:11    LoginResponse arrived (result = TRUE)! {GUID-NUMBER-HERE-REPLACED-TO-POST}
09/04/2012, 19:16:12    ScheduleBootTimeScan failed with error code = 1168
09/04/2012, 19:17:14    ScheduleBootTimeScan failed with error code = 1168
09/05/2012, 04:00:03    StartScan failed with error code = 183

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec

There are only 4 unique entries in that log.  The ScheduleBootTimeScan repeats frequently, the StartScan repeats daily.  The others are login requests and response that in my logs always come in pairs...  Example:

Code: [Select]
09/04/2012, 19:16:11    LoginRequest in Reconnected callback
09/04/2012, 19:16:11    LoginResponse arrived (result = TRUE)! {GUID-NUMBER-HERE-REPLACED-TO-POST}
09/04/2012, 19:16:12    ScheduleBootTimeScan failed with error code = 1168
09/04/2012, 19:17:14    ScheduleBootTimeScan failed with error code = 1168
09/05/2012, 04:00:03    StartScan failed with error code = 183

What's the size of the log file? Can you delete this file, reboot the PC, wait for it to login and check the file size.

nannunannu

AvastNet.log is 20KB AvastNet.old is 30KB; I'll reboot and look at some point if I find time.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Just want to say that we were bitten by this last week. In total 4 computers got hung at "Please Wait".  We have enabled the option in AEA to delay the startup but this really needs to be addressed in the next program update.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

StormsEdge

We've experienced the same issue on XP and 7 PC's.  The delayed start method was not tried, however since we have removed the Firewall component from all PC's involved, we have not experienced any issues related to the Windows update/boot issues.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
This is continuing to happen after this months updates from Microsoft.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

nannunannu

This is continuing to happen after this months updates from Microsoft.

I don't really view this as a good idea, but you'll have to meter your own risk tolerance until the Avast! team does something about this problem...

You can avoid the issue on Vista and Windows 7 by setting avast! Antivirus service to Manual and avast! Net Client Service to Automatic (Delayed Start)...  Both will start and run, and won't conflict with windows updates.  Also be aware that the next time the client software is updated these are likely to reset back to Automatic.

FWIW.

nannunannu

Well, it's been a while, but we just had this pop-up again on a few machines today.  Still waiting on a fix it would seem.

walkman00

Same problem!
Freeze and lockup after logon or after little time of idle. This problem starts about few weeks ago.