Author Topic: lack of memory, resource errors, dll's  (Read 7269 times)

shorty

lack of memory, resource errors, dll's
« on: January 23, 2005, 01:56:37 AM »
this program correctly set up has stopped every virus immaginable, at least to this point.

we hate to quit using a product like this, however, when you have enormous amounts of memory and run into no memory available statements, resource allocation problems, shut down problems, booting problems, and we aren't talking about speed.. we expect something this thorough to slow down things a little.

then there's ashserve error.

we'll list two systems, and would like advice on direction:

1st system:
windows me customized
msi k7
amd sempron 2400 cpu
512 meg 333mghz memory
80G hard drive
TV in-out AGP nvidia g-force 64mg video card
internal modem
lite-on 5232k dvd/cd/cdrw combo
via chipset

it has the most problems, affecting startup, shutdown, adding programs, removing programs, and example would be: watching a dvd without a problem, removing it, shutting down the program, and getting insufficient memory error when trying to run windows explorer or ANY program.

2nd system:
windows xp home
laptop, with both internal and external combo drives
384 meg memory on a celeron chip

absolutely no problems until shutdown and get ashserve error, a long error message, obviously video related.

thanks, really hope your support is as good as the product has been so far. look forward to a response, can send by email if you like.

inthewildteam

Re: lack of memory, resource errors, dll's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 02:44:41 AM »
Just a post from a happy avast user who has both M.E. and XP machines on my home lan.  A post of Hijackthis logs from both machines might help resolve the problem quicker, rather than details of each system by posting individually about installed programmes, memory, mainboards etc.

Welcome to the forum btw!

I'm sure the problems can be resolved, and quite quickly.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 02:47:02 AM by inthewildteam »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 02:49:40 AM »
system 1:
Looks more like a problem with the OS imo.

system 2:
make sure that Avast is not scanning when you shutdown.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »
system 1:
Looks more like a problem with the OS imo.

Me too... you can compare to XP system behavior  :-[ :-\

system 2:
make sure that Avast is not scanning when you shutdown.

How? Shutting down the provider? Closing everything before shutting down (it's too annoying...)  :P
The best things in life are free.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 01:40:00 PM »
With Windows ME I'd check how many applications you have running, it has a well known resources problem in that as you run it it caches every program and file you run till it's got no resources or memory left.  Try cutting down some of these applications running on startup and you might notice an improvement.

Start-Run, type msconfig, OK or Enter, click on the Startup tab and see if you can disable any of the items running there.  You will then need to restart your computer if you do make any changes.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 01:47:31 PM by Gillie2tat »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 10:14:18 PM »
I have no idea about the WinME machine (Igor may be much better at handling this) (btw you're saying you used avast previously - and with no problems?) but about the XP problem:

until shutdown and get ashserve error, a long error message, obviously video related.

ashServ.exe error, saying stuff like '... caused an error and needs to close bla bla'? Or what you mean by "video related"?
Do you have any kind of dump files that we could analyse?
Or maybe - are there any unpXXXX files in the <avast>\data\log folder? (XXXX is a random number)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 12:14:32 PM »
As Gillie2tat said, it seems like the usual "out-of-resources" problem to me, rather common in Windows 9x (independent of avast!). There really isn't much to do about it... remove any unnecessary programs from startup and try to find less resource-consuming variants of the programs (and never start Acrobat ;))

Gillie2tat

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »
Why Acrobat in particular?  There are other programs which use up a lot of resources:)

Also could you run a Hijack This log of each computer and let us see the logs? you could have trojans or anything running which wouldn't help matters.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 12:32:04 PM »
From my experience, (all newer versions of) Acrobat leak a terrible amount of resources on Win9x. But of course, others may have other "stars" :)

JohnW

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 03:44:47 PM »
I'd like to add my twopennorth..

I searched for info on AshServe.exe errors and elyanon's post is close to my 'minor' problem.
When I shutdown I now frequently get an out of memory error  attributed to AshServe.exe.
I'm using XP with SP2 etc (and lots of memory!)

When I shutdown I do usually close all obvious apps although I don't close those running in Background (eg Avast, ClipMate, etc).

Certainly, it's not a significant problem but it never used to happen ..so what's going on?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 03:58:41 PM »
From my experience, (all newer versions of) Acrobat leak a terrible amount of resources on Win9x. But of course, others may have other "stars" :)

Use Adobe Reader Speed-Up 1.21
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bootblock/files/prods/ar-speedup.zip  8)
The best things in life are free.

inthewildteam

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 04:05:41 PM »
@ JohnW

any info in your system logs?  Possibly running Dr. Watson before shutdown might help.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/drwatson_overview.mspx

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »
Certainly, it's not a significant problem but it never used to happen ..so what's going on?

Honestly, I don't know. Quite a big number of similar reports appeared recently. While I also think it's not a serious problem (the computer is shutting down already so there's no security risk in "avast! stopped working" and it also doesn't have any consequences for the next boot), it is certainly annoying.
However, we still haven't been able to reproduce the problem on our machines - the message never appears here.  :-\

ashServ.exe occasionally creates a "crash dump" in the <avast4>\Data\Log - as unpXXXXXX files (X = some numbers). We have checked some of those files (btw, if you have any, you can certainly send them to us), but it didn't really help much - the problem is "somewhere near RPC", but that's all we can say right now, the log doesn't say much more, unfortunatelly.

I'm not sure if DrWatson may get any more information, but you can certainly try.
Thanks!