Author Topic: Kasperkey USB Scan  (Read 7129 times)

Devin Skyz

Kasperkey USB Scan
« on: September 15, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
Hi Guys. I'm new to this Avast Forum. A guy I'm friends with has Kaspersky Antivirus. I obviously boast and say "Avast is the best, it even calls my name to alert me if I have a virus. He just laughs. The only thing I like about Kaspersky is the fact that when you put in your USB disk, Kaspersky automatically jumps into action, scanning the USB, and when there are no threats, it allows Windows Autoplay to continue(open files, play music, view pictures etc.). Can Avast! do that? If it can how?

iroc9555

Re: Kasperkey USB Scan
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »
Devin Skyz welcome to Avast! forum.

Some users like this idea of Avast! auto-scanning anything that is attached to the comp, but Avast! is smarter. Why waste valuable time and CPU to scan something that has not got into motion yet ?

Avast! will scan any autorun in the drive, but it would let the other files alone untill you execute them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
Hi Guys. I'm new to this Avast Forum. A guy I'm friends with has Kaspersky Antivirus. I obviously boast and say "Avast is the best, it even calls my name to alert me if I have a virus. He just laughs. The only thing I like about Kaspersky is the fact that when you put in your USB disk, Kaspersky automatically jumps into action, scanning the USB, and when there are no threats, it allows Windows Autoplay to continue(open files, play music, view pictures etc.). Can Avast! do that? If it can how?

Personally I don't want my AV to scan all of a USB device that I plug in, I have a couple of 16GB USB sticks used for image backups, etc. that would take time to scan the complete USB when the exercise is pointless.

Avast already scans the USBs active content with the file system shield, when you plug in your USB, if anything is launched then avast will scan it, if it has autorun.inf it will scan that content, etc. There is little value in scanning content on the USB that would otherwise be inert or dormant, that is the whole point of having resident on-access protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ajey

• Safe with avast! :)
    • Ajey's computer blog
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »

Personally I don't want my AV to scan all of a USB device that I plug in, I have a couple of 16GB USB sticks used for image backups, etc. that would take time to scan the complete USB when the exercise is pointless.

Avast already scans the USBs active content with the file system shield, when you plug in your USB, if anything is launched then avast will scan it, if it has autorun.inf it will scan that content, etc. There is little value in scanning content on the USB that would otherwise be inert or dormant, that is the whole point of having resident on-access protection.

yes you are right DavidR .
avast! protects us automatically from virus :)
Windows 10 | avast! premium security | https://ajeyscomputerblog.blogspot.com/

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
It's a matter of taste. Either you want your antivirus to scan when the USB-drive is inserted, or at the moment when you actually need a file from that drive.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
As it was mentioned in the Avast GUI discussion thread, that feature (if implemented) should be customizable. If you don't need it, you will be able just to turn it off. You don't need it but as for me I highly need it because I have to insert many different USBs that my colleagues bring to me.
May the FOSS be with you!

Aventador

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:23:31 PM »
Autorun should be disabled on any and all Windows pc's as a security measurement. Disabling autoruns is the first thing I do to my pc's and customers. Also as I previously mentioned any and all usb devices should be immunized. The best way to stay secure and malware free is to be prepared for it.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
a little tool exist .... called MCShield. it does a lightning fast scan when you plug in something

http://amf.mycity.rs/mcshield/

lots of info is found here.  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=104046.0
read posts from dr_bora the program creator
also see the pdf.doc in first post by Tech
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:04:27 PM by Pondus »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:01:24 PM »
Personally i have the removable drives scan disabled in KIS and instead using MCShield, great little tool. ;)

Mayflower

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
One thing for sure, both Avast and Kaspersky makes very fine products. 

Devin Skyz

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Sounds interesting. But don't you think MC Shield will fight with my Avast?

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2012, 06:51:04 PM »
I couldn't make MCShield and MX One Antivirus work on my Vista notebook but I managed to find a USB security tool that is fully compatible with Avast. I installed USB-AV 2012 Free and haven't seen compatibility problems. The only problem is that I have to do manual updates.
May the FOSS be with you!

true indian

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »
One thing for sure, both Avast and Kaspersky makes very fine products.

Completely Agree!  ;) so far i havent seen any vast differences between the 2 in performance nor on protection.  :)

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 11:18:58 AM »
Of course there are differences and in exactly the areas that you mention, Kaspersky is stronger on detection, behavior blocking, firewall is much better as well and it is way better on repair, while avast! is a much faster product overall, slightly more configurable and uses fewer resources(check AV-Comparatives and AV-TEST sites). The sandbox is a nice feature in avast! as well as Safe zone. Kaspersky doesn't have a separate sandbox anymore, it now uses a feature called Safe Money which autodetects any banking sites or online payment sites and offers to run the browser isolated(in a sandbox). In version 2012 you could run any program in the sandbox but now it's only when a banking/payment site is detected, this is my only real gripe with KIS and the main reason i will probably switch back to avast! when my KIS subscription runs out.

true indian

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 12:42:58 PM »
Yes,Darth there may be some differences as specified by you..but i have tested KIS and avast more than any other product and they both seem equally effective..I know KIS engine is like avira and hence has much higher detection rate..i dont care about detection rate if the product can give a balanced signature database with a URL blocker/web shield and a very good enterprise stream...but i find avast to be much organized in malware prevention since i have seen some potential blackouts on KIS's URL blocker..PM if you wanna know why i say that  ;D

You can block 10000 of things with signatures..but it is very difficult to block something that is brand new with signatures rather its easy to find and block it with URL blocker... ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:47:37 PM by true indian »