Author Topic: Wont scan email  (Read 5720 times)

tecstar

Wont scan email
« on: January 25, 2005, 11:36:54 PM »
Using both oe and tb, i have unistalled avast4.5 and reinstalled, rebooted etc etc
but still if i have email scanning turned on i cant send and receive email.
my server settings remained unchanged in the email client.
i have tried manually setting the 127.0.0.1 etc, but i get an error saying that 17.0.0.1 is denied (or something like that).  This started happening after updating.
I have had to turn off mail scanning.  If i try to run the mail setup wizard it says that it is automatically protected, even if i try to remove protection and reapply it.
has anyone else had this problem and how can i fix it?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Wont scan email
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 02:21:38 AM »
Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).

Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

With Windows 2k\XP, avast 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. Can you make a try and see if it's ok? Thanks. You do not have to change it to localhost (127.0.0.1).

New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 10:23:53 AM »
Hi tecstar,

just reading your message.  A question that comes up. 

The title says "Wont scan email".  Your message text says that with OE and TB you cannot send or receive mail.  Can you please clarify the problem.  Is it that you cannot send/receive at all or is it that the mail is not scanned?

Also ... are you using any other mail scanning/washing functions at the same time as Avast!?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2005, 10:27:37 AM by alanrf »

tecstar

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:38:30 PM »
sorry, i was a bit tired when i posted! Hopefully i can make more sense now!

When the mail scanner is activated, and i try to send/receive email, i eventually get a message saying the the pop server is unobtainable.
If I deactivate email scanning, I can send and receive ok.
When I check the server settings, they are set up as normal ie: with the isps pop and smtp server addresses, not 127.0.0.1 (and as the previous post states, this is correct with this new version).  I am using Kerio Personal Firewall, but i get the same if this is deactivated.
I am not connecting to the internet via a proxy, but will check the settings as suggested in the previous post.  I have no other antivirus/antispam or similar running.  I havent even upgraded to XP SP2 yet!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 01:20:02 PM »
Read Technical's post again, "With Windows 2k\XP" and "You do not have to change it to localhost (127.0.0.1)" being the relevant parts.

You would only have the server settings changed if you were using win9X OS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tecstar

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 02:24:31 PM »
Thanks, but i thought my 2nd post acknowledged that?
I know my first post was a bit mixed up, but hopefully my second post explains my problem a bit more clearly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 03:51:34 PM »
I am not connecting to the internet via a proxy, but will check the settings as suggested in the previous post.  I have no other antivirus/antispam or similar running.  I havent even upgraded to XP SP2 yet!

This is the first thing to do...

When the mail scanner is activated, and i try to send/receive email, i eventually get a message saying the the pop server is unobtainable.
If I deactivate email scanning, I can send and receive ok.
When I check the server settings, they are set up as normal ie: with the isps pop and smtp server addresses, not 127.0.0.1 (and as the previous post states, this is correct with this new version).  I am using Kerio Personal Firewall, but i get the same if this is deactivated.

Can you uninstall Kerio for a while and test sending an email to yourself? Post the results.
It seems a 'conflict' between avast and Kerio are making this mess...

tecstar

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 05:43:30 PM »
Thanks, i'll be trying all your advice.
Would this be a conflict due to the upgrade to 4.5?
I have been using Kerio and Avast for ages with no problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 07:14:05 PM »
Would this be a conflict due to the upgrade to 4.5?

If you can try, test if disabling the Net Shield the system works... or, even, uninstalling this provider (Control Panel > Add/Remove > Remove and choose 'Change' option in the pop-up window).

How is confiigurated ashMaiSv.exe into Administrative Tools > Services ?
Is the avast mail service and must be configurated to be started 'manually' and not automatically...