Author Topic: HTTP Scanner  (Read 23323 times)

electronikk

Re: HTTP Scanner
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 11:31:39 PM »
Interestingly, it will contain a number of more improvements than listed above. :P

Cool stuff! Sounds like another major release is rising on the horizon.  ;D
So many good news- seems like it's time for an official announcement. But Iguess it will come along with the beta release on friday?

1. Will it be compatible with other proxies (anonymizers) or local proxy filters (127.0.0.1)?

The mechanism will be the same as with the e-mail protection, so I guess it should be. Ask lukor for more :)

Does this mean that this feature is going to work "out of the box"?  Or does the user have to configure his applications (browsers,etc.) by himself?  I remember configuring my system to work with a jana proxy server was quite a pain in the ass... Anyway I'm looking forward to see the future development.  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2005, 02:15:17 AM »
Thanks Igor and Vlk.
By using a proxy mechanism it will delay the Internet traffic. Hope not that much.
For what you said, the traffic will be transparently directed through the provider and not 'external' configuration of proxies will be needed.
Hoping Lukor post anything to make this clear...

Vlk, which other improvements will we have?  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »
Hi,

Web Shield is indeed using the same transparent mechanism that appeared firstly in avast 4.5 for Mail Scanner. So the same will apply: simply start the provider and you should be protected, stop it, no reconfiguration and you are again with your bare internet. For localhost proxies, the communication between the proxy and the outer internet will be scanned. Other configurations would be also possible - but that would require setting the proxy server in your browser or in your present localhost proxy.

Concerning the delay - well, there would be apparently some small delay - the payload needs to be scanned and that takes some time. But the scanning process is optimized for this kind of usage and the networking stuff is also optimized for high throughput, so hopefully you will find it very quick or better not noticeable at allĀ  :P

We might discuss this in more detail as soon as the first beta is out...

Lukas.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2005, 04:29:29 PM »
For those who like to know more about malware, viruses, exploits, trojans and such, click on the link in my signature and visit the webboard. It has detailed definitions/explanations about them.

electronikk

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2005, 08:36:01 PM »
What lukas said sounds promising.  :)
I just wonder how much your internet speed will be affected by your processing power. (and I'm curious about the effects on traffic throughput and response times...)