Author Topic: Avast Configuration  (Read 11495 times)

Night-Walker

Avast Configuration
« on: January 24, 2005, 06:32:18 PM »
 :)Hi Everybody! I'm newbie here and I need a support on Avast 4 Free Home Edition.

Unlikely others Antivirus, this one seems to make the boot runs faster. I log myself and then, the "welcome" screen appear, no problem...
Everytime I'm enter in the Desktop, I've noticed the blue icon of Avast! is not activated yet. It takes 3~4 minutes until I see that "blue-ball" spinning on the system tray. But there's a problem: I cannot start any Internet connection until  AVast is fully operational.
Is there something I can do to fix this? ???

Thanks!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: Avast Configuration
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 06:36:25 PM »
Hm. Was there the same issue without avast! installed? Make sure you don't have too many programs in startup section.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Night-Walker

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 06:46:11 PM »
No, the boot is normal, without Avast. I can even make a Internet Conection. No problem.

THe second thing I forget to mention here it's this program sometimes cause my firewall block the internet conection, when I try to start, due his automatic update.

Another Information: Win XP HOME + SP2.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 06:57:36 PM »
Which firewall are you using and what are your PC specifications(CPU,RAM,disk etc) ?

Night-Walker

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 07:05:34 PM »
Windows SP2 Firewall
Avast 4 Free Home Edition
Browser Internet Explorer 6
Resolution 32 bits, 1024 x 728 pixels
Automatics Updates and Firewall Activated

128 MB RAM
39 GB of ROM

Well... that's it.

Night-Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 07:13:30 PM »
Just one more thing:
Main Processor - Intel Celeron 2.0 Ghz

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 07:36:22 PM »
Is there lots of disk activity during these slow bootups?
128MB of RAM is a bit small amount for Windows XP system.

Night-Walker

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 09:05:17 PM »
No... It's just the operational system and the Antivirus. 

The problem wasn't refered to the boot, but after you logged into the Windows XP  the "Welcome" appears and you enter in the desktop.

I've saw that Icon of avast with a red signal (that means the Antivirus wasn't activated yet). Then after 3~4 minutes it starts to spin.

I can't start any Internet conection (Internet Explorer doesn't start anything) if this icon of avast still not activate.

inthewildteam

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 09:22:17 PM »
As RejZor said, 128 mb of ram is close to bare minimum for xp.  Windows is probably paging out to load your o.s. and programmes.  You can check this with task manager after you log in.

If you haven't already done so, it's probably best to switch to windows classic and remove the load that xp's default theme puts on your system.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 11:14:27 PM »
Also winXP's firewall is not a full firewal, it provides inbound protection but not outbound, so you should consider a software firewall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Night-Walker

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 01:16:27 AM »
well, the Antivirus hasn't specified this aspect when I first installed it... Anyway,  256 MB should be the "ideal" for it?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2005, 04:12:50 AM »
No, even 256 Mb is not enough to run Windows XP. Also, it depends which memory do you use. Is it still SDR or DDR, slower or faster ? 512 Mb is recommended by many for smooth running of Windows XP, and believe me even that sometimes isn't enough. For some graphical demanding operations, especially if you need to have more than 5 huge programs open in the same time (CorelDraw, Photoshop, Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Flash etc.), going below 1 Mb of RAM is waste of your as well as porcessor's time.

256 for sure is not "ideal", it's not even "optimal". "Optimal" could be 512, but as we all know... never enough RAM.

It's well known that Windows XP takes forever to load with 128 MB of RAM only. As soon as you upgrade your computer with more RAM, you'll see noticeable increase in speed... not just loading of Windows, but also, processing some tasks, and many other operations.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline radicalb21

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • Be Safe. Be Smart. Use Common Sense.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2005, 04:40:13 AM »
I'm a BETA Tester for Microsoft OS's and applications. I agree with what Craftec has told you. More memory is a must in your case. I would recommend either Kingston Memory, Corsair  Memory, or Crucial Memory. These are the three best memory manufactures I know of and use myself. If you are going to be just emailing and surfing the web I would suggest 512 - MB of RAM. If you are going to be doing stuff like video editing, photoshop, or gaming I would start with at least 1 GB of RAM. Here are some links to help you:

http://www.kingston.com/

http://www.crucial.com/

http://www.corsairmicro.com/

You can also buy memory from these two online stores as well

http://www.zipzoomfly.com

http://www.newegg.com

I hope this helps. If you have any questions you can either IM or email me through my profile or through my website or forum.
iMac 21.5 " Mid 2011 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Night-Walker

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2005, 08:28:31 AM »
No, even 256 Mb is not enough to run Windows XP. Also, it depends which memory do you use. Is it still SDR or DDR, slower or faster ? 512 Mb is recommended by many for smooth running of Windows XP, and believe me even that sometimes isn't enough. (...) 256 for sure is not "ideal", it's not even "optimal". "Optimal" could be 512, but as we all know... never enough RAM.
It's well known that Windows XP takes forever to load with 128 MB of RAM only. As soon as you upgrade your computer with more RAM, you'll see noticeable increase in speed... not just loading of Windows, but also, processing some tasks, and many other operations.

Well, the information I've just saw at the left side of my Gabinet shows 128 MB of DDR. Althought I plan to increase the memory of my computer, but they're plans ($$$) for the future, not now... ;D
Unless this harms my computer, so I'll do start to worring ???
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 08:41:52 AM by Night-Walker »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 08:45:40 AM »
Before you decide to buy more memory, make sure the one you want to buy is supported by your motherboard. You can see what is supported in the manual of it. If you don't have the manual, you can find one at the website of the manufacturer.

About your startup problem:
I would say don't worry. In fact it is a good thing you can't get connected till Avast is fully started, otherwise you would have a moment of unprotect net access. And that can get your system infected. Besides that, it is not that you boot every 5 minutes or so ;D

I agree with the others.
- more memory (512 recommended. If you do much graphical stuff, more is advised)
- get a good firewall. (Recommended a router with build in hardware firewall)