Author Topic: File Shield kills Thunderbird performance  (Read 4956 times)

avastjc

File Shield kills Thunderbird performance
« on: May 05, 2012, 12:56:57 AM »
Hi All,

It seems that file shield kills Thunderbird performance when running in IMAP mode (I use Gmail btw). The symptom in particular is that when sending an email, it locks up for quite some time when copying the new email to the Sent Mail folder.  I generally have my Thunderbird sent to keep messages synced/saved to disk so there is 1GB of files total on disk even though I am using IMAP.

Generally any time any folder is being written too, Thunderbird grinds to a halt/locks up.

I have proven it is the file shield by turning off/on File Shield and watching the performance improve when File Shield is off.  I have done this a few times.  Not likely a fluke.  I already have Mail Shield off to eliminate any potential issue there.

I have also shrunk/compacted the offending folders like Sent Mail that has this problem, and it seems to decrease the hang time of the app with File Shield on nearly linearly to the folder size reduction.  Makes sense I guess if the file is being scanned at open/write time with file shied.  Now my Sent Mail folder is 100MB, and writing a mail there takes some 5-10 seconds with file shield on.

I am at the point where I am making a hard choice about giving up Thunderbird vs. Avast.

BTW I am running MacOSX application version 7.0 (36770)

Help!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 01:01:05 AM by avastjc »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: File Shield kills Thunderbird performance
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:43:52 AM »
Well, I run Windows not Mac, and we can exclude files/folders from File Shield.
If I'm thinking correctly, you should let Mail Shield ON and make an exclusion on File Shield.
The best things in life are free.

avastjc

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
Indeed this solves the core problem!  I was not even aware of this advanced option until you pointed it out and fortunately its there on the MacOSX version too!.

I have blocked the IMAP folder, in my case under ~user/Library/Thunderbird, and its working like a champ.

Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »
You're welcome. Don't forget to let the Mail Shield always ON.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:15:09 PM »
Also do not forget to setup your mail servers in the mail shield if they are secure. See here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=89943.0
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

MoonDragon

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:42:37 AM »
Hi All,

It seems that file shield kills Thunderbird performance when running in IMAP mode (I use Gmail btw). The symptom in particular is that when sending an email, it locks up for quite some time when copying the new email to the Sent Mail folder.  I generally have my Thunderbird sent to keep messages synced/saved to disk so there is 1GB of files total on disk even though I am using IMAP.

Generally any time any folder is being written too, Thunderbird grinds to a halt/locks up.

I have proven it is the file shield by turning off/on File Shield and watching the performance improve when File Shield is off.  I have done this a few times.  Not likely a fluke.  I already have Mail Shield off to eliminate any potential issue there.

I have also shrunk/compacted the offending folders like Sent Mail that has this problem, and it seems to decrease the hang time of the app with File Shield on nearly linearly to the folder size reduction.  Makes sense I guess if the file is being scanned at open/write time with file shied.  Now my Sent Mail folder is 100MB, and writing a mail there takes some 5-10 seconds with file shield on.

I am at the point where I am making a hard choice about giving up Thunderbird vs. Avast.

BTW I am running MacOSX application version 7.0 (36770)

Help!

please note that all sent mail using GMAIL IMAP settings is automatically stored in the sent mail folder on Google mail. Google reccommend that you DO NOT have your email client save a copy to the sent folder. If you're not sure about this this try it out on a test and you will find your email will appear in the sent folder.