Author Topic: Avast Anti-Theft send SMS to Czech Republic  (Read 53335 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast Anti-Theft send SMS to Czech Republic
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
I have just had £7.35 in international texts to 420720001669, I Googled the number and came across this thread.  I have just uninstalled Avast and reinstalled it, part of the Anti-Theft set-up shows the test option with a warning about the potential cost. I can't recall this when originally setting it up but guess it must have been there, my query is why there is no record of these text in my phones text log if there had been I might have spotted them before incurring more charges?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 11:20:19 AM by gsgsgs »

REDACTED

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 05:16:34 AM »
I don't know whether this is what happens to other people, but it seems I received an email from Avast on each occasion it sent an SMS.  That email just told me the location of my phone with no explanation as to why it was being sent.

It would be helpful if the email said that it was as a result of a SIM change and that an SMS had been sent to Avast to trigger it.

It would also be helpful if the system didn't keep sending SMS's at random intervals from one SIM change without checking that this was desired.
I've been having the same problem. HTC One M9 running Android Marshmallow. No SIM card change at all. 20% of my current bill are charges related to SMS's being sent to by Avast Anti theft to Avast. There is obviously some bug in the application that fires off in some cases...

I don't want a refund, but I don't think all cases are being caused by user ignorance or user error here. In my case the application definitely feels faulty so I've just removed it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:18:06 AM by Gonads »

REDACTED

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2016, 01:23:18 PM »
I have the latest Avast running on a Moto G LTE phone (installed more than a year ago, regularly updated) under Android 5.1.1. Recently I noticed that upon every reboot the phone sends 2 messages to each of my AntiTheft contacts, as well as one SMS to +42072001669 and another to +338420720001669 (fails to be delivered to the latter).

THIS IS SURELY A BUG, as I have not changed or removed the SIM for ages. _The behavior is apparently caused only by shutdowns due to low battery_.
If this matters for troubleshooting: my phone is also protected by a pattern and the SIM is set to unlock with a PIN code.

BTW, the "empty" messages sent to my contacts do not reach them, even though those numbers are operated by the same cellular network and the plain old Samsung phones run no blocking software.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:30:39 PM by televizor16 »

REDACTED

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
DO NOT INSTALL THIS APP.....unless you are happy being charged 20p for every SMS sent to AVAST. (17 in 2 days in my case) and that is with PREMIUM version. The FREE version is probably more, so check you bills regularly.

There is NO WAY to STOP this so just REMOVE the APP. There are better APPs available in the UK that WONT charge you for SMS (use UK numbers) or use other methods for communicating with your phone.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 01:08:24 PM by GeoMor »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2016, 01:35:37 PM »
Please check the facts before posting GeoMor.

1]
There is no premium version of Anti-Theft and there never was.

2]
You can disable sending the SMS if you want.

3]
If there are charges for a SMS and if so how much depend on the phone provider you have.

REDACTED

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
1 / Fact - I am a premium AVAST customer and I am still charged for SMS to a Czech number. This is unreasonable in this day and age. A UK virtual SMS could be set up easily (even if only for PAYING customers). Avast obviously know how how to do this, but don't....I wonder why? I will NOT pay AVAST a PREMIUM fee in future as there is obvioulsy no reason to do so.

2/ Would have been helpful (as you seem so knowledgeable, as to how to do this).....but may be you don't know? Anyone else know?

3/ Obviously these are SMS charges highlighted on my bill (17 off over 2 days). these are international SMS charges from UK (so warning other UK users to BEWARE) :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2016, 02:00:35 PM »
1]
As I said there is no premium version of Anti-Theft.
There is only one free version.
There have been in the past a version for rooted devices but that also was free.

2]
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=avast+disable+sms

REDACTED

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

If anyone KNOWS how to disable this feature (in the current Avast version) this then perhaps they can post a helpful response.

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »
The instructions are on the avast website, even on several pages.
Only thing you have to do is read it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »
Please, read https://blog.avast.com/2014/07/02/how-to-prevent-unnecessary-costs-of-avast-sms-notifications-when-replacing-your-sim-card/ to know more about why Avast needs to communicate via SMS and how to prevent unnecessary costs. Read also: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB135
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2016, 08:28:20 AM »
Very helpful, thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
Very helpful, thanks
You're welcome. Come back any time you need help :)
The best things in life are free.

REDACTED

« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
I have check my phone billing as per below since Nov 2015..
Shit. i didnt see this transaction.

Avast. can u explain this why u guys charge this amount and im also paying for yearly subscription.

16 Nov 2015 - 15 Dec 2015 - Usage of RM 9.00 ( 18 SMS Sent)
16 Mar 2016 - 15 Apr 2016  - Usage of RM 17.50 ( 35 SMS Sent)
16 Feb 2016 - 15 Mar 2016  - Usage of RM 16.00 ( 32 SMS Sent)
16 Jan 2016 - 15 Feb 2016  - Usage of RM 20.00 ( 40 SMS Sent)
16 Dec 2015 - 15 Jan 2016 -  Usage of RM 14.00 ( 28 SMS Sent)

This is seems not appropriate .

User.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2016, 09:24:48 AM »
It is your phone provider that is charging you not avast.

Besides that, you are not paying for a yearly subscription.
AMS and anti-theft are free tools, there is no payed version of them (anymore).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:26:28 AM by Eddy »

REDACTED

« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Yes it is my phone provider stated the charges.

but why Avast  "can u explain this why u guys charge this amount and im also paying for yearly subscription" which i pay in google play store at RM 49.00 per year.

and what do you request my phone to send over to Czech Republic. What is the content??