Author Topic: Avast Silent Installation Switch (No Google Chrome Installation)  (Read 22760 times)

Otacon23

Avast Silent Installation Switch (No Google Chrome Installation)
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
Found this while making an unattended setup for Windows 7

This will install avast excluding the download and installation of Google Chrome

Avast_setup_free_or_pro_or_not /VERYSILENT /NORESTART /SP- /"Chrome"="false"
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:12:26 PM by Otacon23 »

kelvinso

Re: Avast Silent Installation Switch (No Google Chrome Installation)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »
can't work
pls help me

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »
Why would you need silent installation?
Are you working with OEM software/hardware?
The best things in life are free.

HawaiianHope

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
BUMP !

I just did a silent install of avast, 7.0.1426 and i feel like i was raped.  Google chrome wsa installed without my permission. i DID NOT ASK for it, but yet it was FORCIBLY INSERTED into my computer.

HOW do i do a silent install without chrome ?

HawaiianHope

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »
Also, take note that this has been read over 1200 times so I am NOT the only one looking to solve this infection.

FreeFry

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 02:55:07 PM »
Also, take note that this has been read over 1200 times so I am NOT the only one looking to solve this infection.

I recently replied to a thread regarding this issue. It's true there is no current switch to install Avast without Chrome and the Toolbar, however there are viable ways to work around it!

See my response to this thread: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=81104.msg775764#msg775764

HawaiianHope

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 06:38:05 AM »
PERFECT !
THANK YOU !!!!!  That is exactly what I was looking for. In fact I took it a step further, there are 3 additional files I eliminited from the extracted bunch :
  • gcapi.dll
  • gtapi.dll
  • chrome-2.vpx
Assuming those are GoogleCrhome-DLL, GoogleToolbar-DLL, and the chrome-vpx. 
Check your computer and see if the DLL's were copied into your windows even without the EXE's running ???

Here is the Knowledgebase article on command lines :
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1240

I was able to install without sounds and immediately do a program update.  But could not get the progress bar to actually show up even when I requested it.

This is what my final command line looked like :
"%UserProfile%\Desktop\Typical_Install_WinXP\All_The_Software\Avast_Installer\avast.setup.EXE" /sfx /sfxstorage "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Typical_Install_WinXP\All_The_Software\Avast_Installer" /GetEdition:free /brandcode "A"  /srcpath "%UserProfile%\Desktop\Typical_Install_WinXP\All_The_Software\Avast_Installer" /sfxname "avast_free_antivirus_setup" /nosounds /silent /nodesktopicon  /noreboot /update

Our org, www.HawaiianHope.org, we refurbish and give away free computers to the homeless and low income families. To date we have given away over 900 free computers. We will be giving away thousands more over the next few years.  We had been using AVG but dumped them because of problems they refused to fix.  Now we migrated over to Avast, but there is NO WAY I am going to have our techs manually install a product to avoid some buried undesirable infection. We simply will not use the product... hence why we dumped AVG and will never use it again. Manual installation for thousands of computers is not an option.

Now, I have to figure out :
   how to disable the stupid A.D.D. mentality pop ups.
   How to command line script a program and definitions updates.

All of the computers we give away are “locked down” so its impossible to accidentally mess up the OS. (in fact, antivirus programs are virtually unnecessary) All updates are done manually/scripted at a preset time each day that is best for the client. Thus, automated updates are simply a waste of bandwidth and processor speed.
EDIT * I found the "ASHUPD.exe" and from a command prompt run it as "ASHUPD program"  That appears to be the thing.

PS.
BTW, One of the several AVG purposely designed flaws we discovered.  If you install AVG before you register windows XP, once you run the XP registration wizard and type in your windows COA numbers, AVG purposely breaks itself. The only way to fix it is to uninstall AVG and then reinstall it.  This prevents us from being able to do a fully automated installation of the entire system.  It wastes too much time.

THANKS AGAIN !
want some side work ? hehehe
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:06:25 PM by HawaiianHope »

FreeFry

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:19:28 AM »
Nice to hear I helped someone. :)
I didn't even know they had a knowledgebase on the switches (not that they documented all of them anyway) - never been much for reading documentations. ;)

Solaris_

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
Hi,

If anyone is trying to install Avast silently. It has slightly changed with the latest version.

There is no gcapi.dll or gtapi.dll files in the installation files. There is no indication of which files Google Toolbar and Chrome come from. I still don't know where it is copying/extracting the files from.

The way I got it working was pretty much the same as HawaiianHope and FreeFry above.

Extract the files from the installation.exe by running avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe, don't install it, just leave it open. Go to %temp% and copy all the files from the temp extraction directory. You can find it easy by looking in the temp folders for the avast.setup etc.

Copy the files to wherever you want to run the install from. Close the Avast installer.
Go to the directory where you extracted the files and delete the following files:
chrome-2.vpx
aswOfferTool.exe

It took me a long time to find out what was going on, I found out by just randomly trying to run the offertool and found a log file for it which stated it is used to give the user the option to install chrome and toolbar.
So, the offertool is what the cause is.

Hopefully this helps someone. Now I can have my fully automated windows install :)

Thanks HawaiianHope and FreeFry your posts were very helpful.