Author Topic: Avast updates when there are no updates availible.  (Read 4272 times)

Dragonflame5

Avast updates when there are no updates availible.
« on: September 15, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
When I click on the "maintainance" tab and click update the program starts updating and when it's finished it says that I already have the latest version of Avast. I think it would be better if the buttons were gray when there are no updates so that you don't have to guess by clicking and waiting all the time.

Ty.

Theo Peterbroers

Re: Avast updates when there are no updates availible.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Well,

(1) Maybe updating is a way of repairing an installation that is in disarray. So it makes sense to apply and update even if there is nothing to be updated.
(2) Your copy of avast should start updating itself as soon as it knows there is an update, at least in the default settings. Therefore, you will rarely catch avast at the precise moment when it has not yet updated itself.
(3) Since you initiated the process, it seems only logical to end it with some kind of confirmation. Wouldn't you rather be informed, if some mishap occurred along the road?

Best regards,

Dragonflame5

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
1. It should have a separate button for reparing software.

2. It does update itself. But it's just not logical that it begins updating for a couple of minutes when clicking the manual update button even though there is no update availible. I have never experienced this with any other software, unless when there have been a bug in the updating program.
It's like checking your bank account and suddenly you have 100 million dollars, you go and buy a new ferrari, house etc and then when you check your account an hour later your balance is minus 10 million dollars.

3. I would rather have the manual update buttons grey and unclickable when there are no new updates and yellow when there are. If an error occures after clicking the button when it's yellow, then ofcourse I want information about that error.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:58:13 AM by Dragonflame5 »

Theo Peterbroers

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:52 AM »
Hi Dragonflame,

Nice comparison to your bank account. Avast on your pc needs to synchronize with the update servers. If you happen to have an offline overview of your bankaccount, would you want the spreadsheet or dedicated program to warn you the overview is outdated? That would imply some form of synchronization with your bank, without you being aware of this action.

Using default settings, avast already does let you know when a program update is available, see the attached file. I must admit, I don't remember if this is in the form of a popup or something else.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 01:52:33 PM by Kwartet! »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
When I click on the "maintainance" tab and click update the program starts updating and when it's finished it says that I already have the latest version of Avast. I think it would be better if the buttons were gray when there are no updates so that you don't have to guess by clicking and waiting all the time.

Ty.

That would be a chicken and egg scenario, how would it know if there was an update available to change the interface; that's right it would have to check. It already does that in the form of the Auto Update check, if a virus definitions update is available it will download it and inform you it has been updated.

In the case of Program updates, since these are likely to be longer and or require a reboot, these are Set to Ask and not Auto, so if one is available it will Notify you of it and ask if you want to install it then.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dragonflame5

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »
Hi Dragonflame,

Nice comparison to your bank account. Avast on your pc needs to synchronize with the update servers. If you happen to have an offline overview of your bankaccount, would you want the spreadsheet or dedicated program to warn you the overview is outdated? That would imply some form of synchronization with your bank, without you being aware of this action.

Best regards,

Hi,

I didn't compare with my bank account, or yours, it was just a metaphor. If you don't know what a metaphor is, google it, maybe before you say something not thought through. If you werent trying to insult me, then you should have said "a bank account" not your.

It could check if there were an update automatically, and then tell the user that there is an update availible, then you click the colored update button, program starts updating, when it's complete the update button is gray. So simple, yet not implemented.

Best Regards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:28:08 AM by Dragonflame5 »

Dragonflame5

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »

Ty.

That would be a chicken and egg scenario, how would it know if there was an update available to change the interface; that's right it would have to check. It already does that in the form of the Auto Update check, if a virus definitions update is available it will download it and inform you it has been updated.

In the case of Program updates, since these are likely to be longer and or require a reboot, these are Set to Ask and not Auto, so if one is available it will Notify you of it and ask if you want to install it then.

That wasn't the main issue here, I have nothing against that it auto checks for updates, it is that the update button is availible to click and update when there isn't an update availible. It's like playing a computer game, when you complete a task it says "grab reward" when you click it it says "grabbing reward" and then a minute later, "there is no reward here".

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
it is that the update button is availible to click and update when there isn't an update availible.
There isn't any way to know if there is an update available unless you check for it. Therefore, the update button is available.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »
<snip quotes>
That wasn't the main issue here, I have nothing against that it auto checks for updates, it is that the update button is availible to click and update when there isn't an update availible. It's like playing a computer game, when you complete a task it says "grab reward" when you click it it says "grabbing reward" and then a minute later, "there is no reward here".

Sorry but that is the whole point; what is the point in checking to see if an update is available just to display the update button. The regular auto update checks not only check to see if there is an update but also download said update if one is present.

There are some who for whatever reason prefer do do manual updates, so they need access to the manual Update function via the button.

Sorry but I feel that all the suggestion does is add an unnecessary level of complexity to something that already works for auto or manual update functions.

If you know how the auto update function works there is no need to go grab a reward, avast does it for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

norel

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 01:30:05 AM »
Dragonflame5, Avast manual update has a lot of quirks you have to get used to. What you're describing is one of them. I've never had the progress meter completely finish either. The download's done when it gets about halfway across.

What you suggest would be nice, but it's not really necessary. Manual updates are rarely available more than twice daily. If you want more than that I'd suggest using streaming updates.

CharleyO

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 03:17:59 AM »

What happens when you click manual update, is that you are asking the program to look for updates. The action you see happening is the program checking the servers for an update newer than the one you already have. If there is no newer update, you get the results that you are discribing.
It is doing exactly what you asked it to do.

To cure your problem, stop clicking on manual update and use automatic updating.
It works perfectly and you are no longer irritated and confused.

jasoncollege24

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:34 AM »
CharleyO is correct. Avast! has an automatic update feature that is designed to automatically updates your virus definitions, and to let you know if a program update is available and give you the option to install the program updates.

When you click on the manual update button, it's like clicking the Help menu in some programs and clicking on "Check for updates" or going to Windows Update and clicking "Check for updates" because that is exactly what you're telling Avast! to do... Check for updates.

My advice... don't bother with the manual updating. Just let avast! do it for you. Those buttons are a normal thing, and every antivirus program has buttons for manually checking for updates. This is nothing new.