Author Topic: Avast End Point Run Time error 75  (Read 5985 times)

CommercialFab

Avast End Point Run Time error 75
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:11:37 PM »
We use software for production and inventory control.
http://www.romacinc.com/
After installing Avast End Point, we keep getting a "Run Time error 75"  Path/File access error.
The data files are located on a NAS.
You don't get the run time error immediately. You can go and do several things within the programs and then out of the blue you get the run time error.
Our network is very small and pretty generic. No special file access restrictions.

If we disable Avast on the workstation, we have no problems.

What setting would I change in Avast so I don't continue to have this problem?

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avosec Technical Support
  • Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
Re: Avast End Point Run Time error 75
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:41:08 AM »
Check if the software is running in sandbox.

CommercialFab

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
If I have Avast open and start the program, then click on Additional Protection - Sandbox, I don't see anything listed.

I do remember a notice about sandbox popping up when I first tried running the program after installing Avast.
I don't get that message anymore. I think it asked if I wanted to run the Romac program in sandbox.
I had just installed Avast and really didn't know what sandbox was.

I went through the settings and expert setting and don't see any programs listed for sandbox.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
Right-click on the executable file or the shortcut and check if you have an option to run the program outside the sandbox.

CommercialFab

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
It does have options to "Run in Sandbox" and "Always run in Sandbox".
Should I always run it in sandbox?

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:28 PM »
It does have options to "Run in Sandbox" and "Always run in Sandbox".
Should I always run it in sandbox?
No. Can you provide us with more information? What the program does, does it use database? If yes what is the location of the database?

CommercialFab

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
We use Romac for production control, inventory and purchase orders for material.
There is actually a series of programs you run depending on what you want to do.
Inventory Control, Production Control, Purchase Orders.
Each workstation contains the various programs and these programs access various data bases located in a NAS device attached to the network. We use a NAS, but the data files could be located on one of the workstations if we wished.

We are a steel fabrication shop. Each job consists of unique drawings showing what is to be fabricated. The data from the drawings is entered into the system so we can know what material to purchase and how to cut the pieces from the raw material we need. The program also tracks production of the pieces through production.

The program opens various data files depending on what you are doing and locks them out so no one else can access them until you are finished.
It's pretty specific though. More than one person can have a particular job open, but no two can look at the data for the same drawing. More than one person can look at inventory item, but they can not have the same inventory item open to modify. They can look at the same inventory item, but the others will have a message noting it's read only.

I don't know all the inner workings of the program, but I know it creates some small "lock type file" that the program looks for to determine if someone else has a specific data file open.

Let me know if there is anything I can look into

I really appreciate the help.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
You said that you can store the data on a workstation if you wish.
Can you make the following test - store the data on a workstation with avast! installed and check if you'll have the same issue.

CommercialFab

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
I did a fairly quick check.
I copied all the data files to my workstation and redirected the program to look there for them.
One thing that always gave me a run time error after installing Avast was running a data file integrity check for a specific while having it reindex the drawings.
For my test, it worked perfectly.

Do you think my problems could be with latency?

I don't think I'll have time today, but I will try and call the people who wrote the software for their input as well.

Offline Avosec-UK

• Avast Reseller
    • Avosec
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »
Get the data back on the NAS and in the management console add the following exclusion for the File System Shield for Read and Write events: \\*

Check if this will resolve the issue.

CommercialFab

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
Well, I was able to run the data file integrity check, so that is a good sign.
I also played around accessing various other files quickly, to see if it would error out and it didn't. Yet another good sign.

I will go add that to the other workstations and see how it goes.

I'm sure by early next I will know for sure.

Thanks again for all your help.