Author Topic: Update Size  (Read 3161 times)

Jimmer64

Update Size
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:20:10 PM »
I've been using Avast for the past 4 years. I don't allow any auto updates because my internet connection is slow (not by choice) and updates pretty much bring the computer to a crawl. Through habit I check for and install virus definition updates manually every morning as daily routine. Normally I see 1 of 2 steps as the new definitions are downloaded and installed. Obviously these daily updates vary in size. Today, however, the update goes onto step 3 and the progress bar has barely moved after nearly an hour. I've cancelled and tried this several times, rebooted, and get the same results every time.

So please, can you inform me why there is such a huge set of updates on this day? It feels as though the system is trying to download the entire database of virus definitions or a program update - not just today's updates.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 07:22:31 PM by Jimmer64 »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Update Size
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
hey and welcome to the forum. the size could depend on that avast have add/remove malware from there database.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »
Virus update history   http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history

they also sometimes release engine/program changes with the VPS ......maybe thats it ?......that will not show at the above link

Jimmer64

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:01:51 PM »
Appreciate the link Pondus but that just outputs definition names with no related size of update info. As for the program updates those are also done manually because of their size. I am not trying to update the program and I've never seen a program update included in a virus definition update.

As I've noted I've been using Avast for 4 years and have never seen a virus definition update like this which is what spurred me to why. Generally speaking the daily updates are complete in seconds to several minutes even on my slow connection and they have never included a step 3 in the process.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
I've never seen a program update included in a virus definition update.
you will not see it as they are minor changes

Jimmer64

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:14:06 PM »
Ok. So program updates are not seperate from virus definition updates? I see two different buttons, one for Update engine and virus definitions and one that says Update program. In my Settings area I also have the option to update both seperately where I have chosen to update both manually. I assumed setting both to manual would update manually, when I searched for the daily updates. I sit here and watch the updates every morning and this one is different - much, much, larger.

Is there anyone who knows how large the update is and why it is so large?

My point is I cannot spend an entire day updating this machine on my connection. If these size updates will be forced from now on I need to look elsewhere for virus protection. And that sucks because I really like Avast and have help spread the usage to many friends, colleagues, and family members.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
Ok. So program updates are not seperate from virus definition updates?
yes they are....the normal one ....the ones that will make a change on the build number  like 7.0.1460 to 7.0.1466
the one they release with VPS are .... tweaking

Jimmer64

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:12:59 PM »
Interesting. I tried the update again a few minutes ago and a new set of definitions downloaded. This time there was no step 3 as before and the download completed just fine without the previous problem.

Back to normal for the time being and hopefully another 4 years before I come back with another question.

Thanks!