Author Topic: Updating the virus recovery database  (Read 3411 times)

redman

Updating the virus recovery database
« on: January 26, 2005, 02:10:10 PM »
When time comes for the VRDB to be updated, does Avast have to start again from scratch or does it just update any changed files. If the latter, does that mean that the process is significantly quicker for the updates? One other related question: if using screensaver mode to build the VRDB, can the database be built up over a series of short periods when the screensaver is active, i.e., does it just carry on where it left off during the last period or does it have to start again (I assume that the former would be the case, otherwise the VRDB might never get built)?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Updating the virus recovery database
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »
As far I know:

When time comes for the VRDB to be updated, does Avast have to start again from scratch or does it just update any changed files. If the latter, does that mean that the process is significantly quicker for the updates?

avast! compares the files and the data stored, only the new ones are added.
The last 'three' versions of the necessary data are stored to recovery.

One other related question: if using screensaver mode to build the VRDB, can the database be built up over a series of short periods when the screensaver is active, i.e., does it just carry on where it left off during the last period or does it have to start again (I assume that the former would be the case, otherwise the VRDB might never get built)?

While being built with the screen saver running, the VRDB resumes its activity from the last executable added (data stored).
The best things in life are free.

redman

Re: Updating the virus recovery database
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 10:41:50 PM »
Thanks. It works how I thought it would.