Author Topic: Resolved: Does Avast free have zero day protection enabled  (Read 7071 times)

Diddy

Resolved: Does Avast free have zero day protection enabled
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
HI I was wanting to now if anyone could please tell me does Avast antivirus free have zero day protection to scan for zero day viruses, worms, trojans, and Malware?  The reason I am asking is because I watch lots of reviews on antivirus software and the person doing the video review on an antivirus protect will say weather an antivirus product has zero day protection or not.  So I was just curious to now this if in fact avast antivirus free has zero day protection and whether he is all ready enabled by default or whether it is disabled and you can go in and enable it yourself.

Thanks very much have a great day everyone
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 04:17:29 AM by Diddy »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Does Avast free have zero day protection enabled
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:45:38 AM »
HI I was wanting to now if anyone could please tell me does Avast antivirus free have zero day protection to scan for zero day viruses, worms, trojans, and Malware?

Sure. :)

Day0 Summary: http://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Virus180-DayStats
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 10:53:15 AM »
The reason I am asking is because I watch lots of reviews on antivirus software and the person doing the video review on an antivirus protect will say weather an antivirus product has zero day protection or not. 
stop doing that....it will only make your head spin....and youtube tests are just bull s****

install avast, forget it and use your computer for what you planned fore and dont worry about your AV....leave that to avast

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:55:28 AM »
...and youtube tests are just bull s****

+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

true indian

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
0-day protection  :o :o

wtf!? you talking about youtube reviews,right?? i know a lot reviewers on youtube do this...to me this sound's like a total hype..avast has sandbox and filerep to protect against unknown malware...more ever avast SB in v7 is very good with unknown malware.

And do you think that this aspect plays a roll in a real life user...as this thing has come out from the COMODO Forum Moderator called languy first...he is a big old fanboy...and many testers follow his methods...i have already seen a bunch of tests on avast like this and in v7 avast seems to be doing well with the SB...so you shouldnt worry...if you want go ahead and move the behaviour blocker to ask and that gives little more security...

And more ever why are you basing these things on youtube reviews..many testers try to prove this AV is good and that AV is cr*p  >:(...so you must go with your own opinion  ;D

161+ million users...cannot be those many people are mad to use avast! if it is a bad av... ;D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:58:10 AM by true indian »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:58 AM »
Hi Diddy,

Full protection against all known and unknown threats is an imaginairy thing, but there is also a lot that you as a user can contritbute to be as close to that ideal situation as can be. Fully update, upgrade and patch OS and third party software always and all the time. Use safe and secure user habits, stay away from the dark alleys (smut, pr0n, cracks, warez, pirated material) on the Internet where malcode lures around the corner. Install some additional non-residential anti malware/adware/spyware programs like MBAM and SAS free. Use a browser with security extensions to block malcoded scripts and block malicious browser requests, like noscript and request policy extension in fx. Use a good adware blocker like ABP plus with an anti-malware subscription. In Google Chrome use likewise script blocker extensions as notscripts and kiss. Check your peripherals before inserting and stay away from opening scam and phishing mails and there is not much that can happen even from unheard zero-days or from other attacks. Learn safehex and feel more secure.. Visit these forums, welcome here..

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »
The streaming updates provide a layer of zero-day protection---and that is enabled by default.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Diddy

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:16:53 AM »
Hi I just want to say thanks to very one leaving a reponse to my question

Thanks every one.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Resolved: Does Avast free have zero day protection enabled
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
You're welcome.