Author Topic: when AVAST new version will release  (Read 6781 times)

wbear

when AVAST new version will release
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
many anti-virus software release their 2013 version,such as norton,kaspersky,trend micro,panada,gdata,avg,how long will avast  take to plan and release a new version?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: when AVAST new version will release
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 12:22:46 PM »
well.....norton (and some others) releas a new one every year
mostly it is just a gui change (look different) so they can say it is new and then take extra pay from already existing customers that want the latest   ::)

avast release a new when there is something new to release.....and you dont have to pay for it  ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:28:34 PM by Pondus »

true indian

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
we already have new avast 7 for this year....avast 8 for next year feb

Fitter

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
well.....norton (and some others) releas a new one every year
mostly it is just a gui change (look different) so they can say it is new and then take extra pay from already existing customers that want the latest   ::)

avast release a new when there is something new to release.....and you dont have to pay for it  ;)

Not correct, my daughter uses Norton 2012 the upgrade to the newest version ie 2013 version is free as has always been since i last used the 2005 version many moons ago

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »
not so when i used it....think it was 2008-2009-2010
and same thing with Panda.....they send me mail that if i upgrade to latest version i will get it fore half price

maybe it is different in another contry ?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:06:06 PM by Pondus »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 01:09:39 PM »
Well, virtually free is how I'd call it.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Fitter

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
not so when i used it....think it was 2008-2009-2010
and same thing with Panda.....they send me mail that if i upgrade to latest version i will get it fore half price

maybe it is different in another contry ?

Possible misunderstanding here, are we talking about a version upgrade with lets say 6months left on a license--- or do you mean when the license has expired which in that case deals of half upgrade cost or similar reductions is the norm i guess.

JerryM

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
I have used Norton for years, until recently. As long as the current license is not expired there is no charge to upgrade to the newest version
In addition unused licenses that are several years old will work in the newest versions.
Jerry

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
avast! unlike most companies doesn't release "new" version in the middle of the current year. They usually release it around February/March so basically at the start of the year. And yes, currently they are using yearly cycle for major changes and "as needed" for a bit smaller stuff and bugfixes. avast! also doesn't use yearly numbers like others do. Next version that will probably arrive around febriary/march 2013 will carry a number 8.0.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

JerryM

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
I am looking forward to V 8. I hope the bugs in Sandbox get fixed, and the printing problem with the SafeZone.
Jerry

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »
You can check new beta version: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=106303.0
a lot of bugs were fixed there

JerryM

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »
I downloaded the beta, but it would not accept my activation code that has over 350 days left.

There is a license file, and activation code and some other code. Mine is a 6-6-6 digit code. The purchase order from Cleverbridge calls it a product key. I have never understood why it is so difficult to determine what kind of license key I have as no option calls it a Product Key! >:(

Jerry

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 12:36:35 AM »
I downloaded the beta, but it would not accept my activation code that has over 350 days left.

There is a license file, and activation code and some other code. Mine is a 6-6-6 digit code. The purchase order from Cleverbridge calls it a product key. I have never understood why it is so difficult to determine what kind of license key I have as no option calls it a Product Key! >:(

Jerry
maybe....since it is a beta it does not need a license code?...... beta is a test version and not a final release version

JerryM

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 01:00:02 AM »
I checked the trial, and then it said it was expired. However,  I was then able to insert my license code.

Now to see if the sandbox is fixed.

Thanks, Pondus,
Jerry

JerryM

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
NO, the Sandbox is not fixed. I am using IE8, FF, and Google Chrome as my browsers. I can remove them from the Sandbox now, but only Chrome will open sandboxed. But it only opens abour half of the time. IE and FF will not open sandboxed.
Jerry