Author Topic: Hidden Files and Folder settings  (Read 3839 times)

surfseek

Hidden Files and Folder settings
« on: January 27, 2005, 02:15:44 AM »
::)

Hi there,

I would like to know if Avast free home edition will scan my computer thoroughly even if I have 'Do not show hidden or system files' and 'Hide File extensions for known file types' in FOLDER OPTIONS checked?

Does it make any difference at all.

What would anyone out there recommend as the best settings?

I run W98SE/Avast Home Edition 4.5/Zone Alarm 5.5/.

Thanks

surfseek

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: Hidden Files and Folder settings
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 03:25:34 AM »
Yes, avast! will scan all files regardless of those settings. Those settings are just your personal settings on your local computer, nothing else... Through those settings you can control is your Windows Explorer or any other file browser, going to show you hidden files and extensions, or not... Best settings for avast! simply don't exist. Just like with firewalls, there is no best firewall. Different strokes for different folks... You should know what level of protection you're looking for and then decide what's best for you. Even if you just install avast! and leave all settings as they were set by default, you will be well protected.

Regarding your avatar...
It's simply a way too large... read forum policy, the button is located on the top of each page... Here is direct link in case you still can't find it:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=6339.0

...if you've read it before, you would see this:

ALWIL Software Forum Policy:

To all users:

- be polite to other users of this forum
- be respectful to others even if you strongly disagree with their opinions - flaming or abusing will not be tolerated
- post to the relevant forum - some forums are designed for support of particular products, some are for general discussions or even Off-Topic
- do not post any spam or announcement of commercial software/service if you are author or provider of such service
- feel free to announce/discuss any interesting security software (unless it exceeds some reasonable limit and it is not marketing stuff)
- do not use large pictures in signatures or avatars (mind other users who might have weaker connection and smaller display resolution)
- NEVER publish private messages sent you by others in public forums without agreement from the other side

To moderators:

- let the discussions be as much fluent as possible - the forum is in its best shape when mods do not need to do anything
- react only in the most severe cases when the discussions are really bad and it seems that the flame war will not stop by itself
- if you need to take some action, it must not be based on any personal favors but only on the content written in the forum. React without any emotions!
- simply explain the reasons of your action but do not discuss about it further for too long - such discussions might be really endless
- mind your power over the other users - and use it with care, politness and wisdom

Thanks to all for following those simply rules!
Pavel
« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 03:35:32 AM by S.Z.Craftec »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 11:39:07 AM »
What would anyone out there recommend as the best settings?

If you're talking about avast, click on 'Settings' in my signature  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 11:56:28 AM »
And as I already said in my reply to him, first sentence in your SETTINGS section is:

Most of these settings are the default values for avast 4.5.

See here:

Quote by me:
Even if you just install avast! and leave all settings as they were set by default, you will be well protected.

;)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

surfseek

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 02:11:12 PM »
S.Z. Craftec:

Regarding your avatar...
It's simply a way too large... !!!

:-[

Yes, I'm sorry about that. I couldn't believe the size of my picture either.

I have adjusted it now.

Thanks for your reply re Folder settings too

surfseek

« Last Edit: January 27, 2005, 02:15:22 PM by surfseek »

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:48:47 PM »
No need to appologize my friend... it was just friendly advice. Forum policy button is up there and it would be great if everybody read those information... there is not much to read anyway, so it wouldn't take that much time to go through that policy...

Your avatar is great now. 100x100 pixels is something that we all call optimum, but it's not too big even if you go all the way to 150x150 pixels... more than that, well... it could be too much for some forum visitors.

Take care !