Author Topic: Compatible Firewall with Avast free  (Read 7767 times)

Antarctica

Compatible Firewall with Avast free
« on: September 29, 2012, 03:23:14 PM »
Hello,
Can someone tell me which Firewall would be best to install with Avast free beside Windows firewall?
Thanks. :)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Compatible Firewall with Avast free
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
many users here use online armor or outpost
there have been some issues with comodo and zonealarm 

Antarctica

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
many users here use online armor or outpost
there have been some issues with comodo and zonealarm

Thanks Pondus. Free version of online armour and outpost, or the Pro version?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
You could have free or Pro in Online Armor, if you want free in Outpost you'll have to download the suite and do a custom install with everything unchecked bar the firewall, the Pro version is standalone.

The left hand column has all the versions http://www.agnitum.com/products/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 04:01:57 PM by craigb »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Arnold72

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »
You could have free or Pro in Online Armor, if you want free in Outpost you'll have to download the suite and do a custom install with everything unchecked bar the firewall, the Pro version is standalone.

The left hand column has all the versions http://www.agnitum.com/products/

Is the free firewall within the suite updated quite often as i notice the free standalone outpost firewall is quite dated.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
Is the free firewall within the suite updated quite often as i notice the free standalone outpost firewall is quite dated.
The free suite version doesn't get as many Program updates as the paid version understandably but it does get them when needed, updates to firewalls aren't as necessary as with AV's

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 09:52:59 PM »
While it's no longer available as a stand-alone (except possibly from sites that specialize in older versions), I've never had any problems with the PC Tools Firewall Plus (free version) and avast.  And since, as craigb pointed out, firewall updates are few and far between and rarely critical, it's no big deal that PC Tools (I think now one more acquisition laid to rest by Symantec) no longer supports it.

One of its features I like (and in any firewall including it that I've used) is that it'll flag application rules for apps no longer on your system and let you conveniently delete those rules.  The only such rule I leave in place anyway is the one for avast.setup, so it doesn't have to ask me for permission each time there's an auto-update check ... apparently avast.setup doesn't change enough between its successive creations to trigger a "file has changed" warning.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent