Author Topic: Ran scan, found infected files, can't get rid of them  (Read 45705 times)

snordie

Ran scan, found infected files, can't get rid of them
« on: September 29, 2012, 05:42:07 PM »
I'm new to Avast.  I used to use Spybot on my PC, but now I'm a Mac user so I got the free version of Avast 7.0.  I ran the full system scan, and it showed infected files.  At the bottom where it says "Repair, Delete, Move, Finder, Export" the only option that's not greyed out is "Export."  So I highlighted a virus and the greyed out options lighted up for me to use.  So I clicked delete.  It says on the right "deleted."  However after doing this to eight infected files, the options greyed out again and wouldn't let me finish.  I thought maybe it only lets you delete so many at a time.  So I ran the whole scan again.  The files I thought I deleted are still there, still marked "deleted" but it still won't let me use any options other than Export, even if I highlight the infected files like it let me before.  Are these files I deleted actually deleted or are they waiting for me to do some function.  The File or Edit menus have options but again they are greyed out and not available for me to try.  I would actually rather just quarantine them, but can't find this option either.

I searched the Avast website for answers, but it says that on earlier versions, on the left of the screen, if you click on "Maintenance" there is an option to put things in a virus chest (I think was the name of it) to quarantine them.  My version of Avast does not have this.  Under Maintenance, all I have is "Registration."  I clicked on it, but I already registered my product so all that shows is my registration dates.  Spybot used to have a quarrantine option, so I was looking for something like that on Avast.  I can't find anything other than this virus chest which isn't available on my version.  Is it because I have the free version?  I thought maybe it is the version I have and even though I just downloaded it, maybe it isn't the most recent version.  So I tried to upgrade it, but it says I have the most recent version. 

I see other people have had this problem on here, but any answers that were given do not fix my problem.  Please help.

snordie

Re: Ran scan, found infected files, can't get rid of them
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
I'm tired of searching for answers and not finding any on this site.  I'm starting to wonder if Avast is a scam to further corrupt computer systems.  There is no help for a person to delete these infected files.  I need to do something, and I am worried about how I am going to get this Avast off my system now so I can load on something that will work.  Spybot was so easy on my PC.  I thought this would be similar, but it's frustrating.  :(

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:45:00 PM »
Hi,
  scan log doesn't allow to select mutliple items at once, what is unfortunatelly a known limitation and we would like to improve this in the future. There is no limitation, how many items can be deleted one by one or anything similar.

Once there is selected an item marked as infected, the user can delete the item, what is internally implemented as 'rm -f' call. If this fails from the reason the user doesn't have priviledges to do the operation, the operation is repeated and the system SecurityInterface framework requests the user to authentify self. If the operation fails from any other reason, an error dialog should appear. If the operation succeeds, item in the log is marked as deleted and any following scan should not detect it, since it is not present in the file system.

If this is not truth, could you please provide us a screen shot with highlighted items that cannot be deleted, file permissions/owner and permissions/owner of the directory containing the files?

Best Regards,
Martin
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:47:01 PM by krahulik »

gwbrown9

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:59:52 PM »
I'm new to Avast.  I used to use Spybot on my PC, but now I'm a Mac user so I got the free version of Avast 7.0.  I ran the full system scan, and it showed infected files.  At the bottom where it says "Repair, Delete, Move, Finder, Export" the only option that's not greyed out is "Export."  So I highlighted a virus and the greyed out options lighted up for me to use.  So I clicked delete.  It says on the right "deleted."  However after doing this to eight infected files, the options greyed out again and wouldn't let me finish.  I thought maybe it only lets you delete so many at a time.  So I ran the whole scan again.  The files I thought I deleted are still there, still marked "deleted" but it still won't let me use any options other than Export, even if I highlight the infected files like it let me before.  Are these files I deleted actually deleted or are they waiting for me to do some function.  The File or Edit menus have options but again they are greyed out and not available for me to try.  I would actually rather just quarantine them, but can't find this option either.

I searched the Avast website for answers, but it says that on earlier versions, on the left of the screen, if you click on "Maintenance" there is an option to put things in a virus chest (I think was the name of it) to quarantine them.  My version of Avast does not have this.  Under Maintenance, all I have is "Registration."  I clicked on it, but I already registered my product so all that shows is my registration dates.  Spybot used to have a quarrantine option, so I was looking for something like that on Avast.  I can't find anything other than this virus chest which isn't available on my version.  Is it because I have the free version?  I thought maybe it is the version I have and even though I just downloaded it, maybe it isn't the most recent version.  So I tried to upgrade it, but it says I have the most recent version. 

I see other people have had this problem on here, but any answers that were given do not fix my problem.  Please help.
[/color]

I had this same problem. I also found that I had to 'secure erase Trash' to remove the file from the report in the next scan. I agree tha this is not explained in the reference materials available for this program. I suspect that the problem lies with the translation from the origin language. They are very good programmers, their english language translation skills are lacking. Of course, I don't speak their native language either.

BrianG

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »
Where is the Virus Chest on Macs?

jacoblanemcp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:20 AM »
At least you guys get the options to Repair, Delete, Move, and etc. I installed Avast on a couple of computers now and the initial scan finds several infections but my options for handling them are ALWAYS grayed out. I can't do anything to fix them. This is a major product deficiency! Is this "free" version some kind of hostage-ware that won't clean the infections until we pay some money or something?

Avast needs to get this sorted out in pretty short order. Starting to look for other products already...

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
Hello,
  Repaire, Delete, Move, etc. buttons should be enabled, when all of the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Scan is finished
- One item from the results has been selected
- Item isn't marked as Moved/Deleted/Repaired
- Item belongs to infection (red icon with exclamation mark inside), for warnings/clean files the actions makes no sense
- User must have permissions to see file representing or encapsulating the item at filesystem

By item is meant a file at filesystem and identificable part nested inside archive (file inside tar.gz, part of pdf document, etc.) that can be scanned.
Items inside archive can be only repaired. Delete/Move actions can be applied only to files, not nested items.

If the application doesn't behave as described, could you please provide us a screenshot and check, if you see the file in a Finder.

Thank you in advance,
Martin

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
To gwbrown9: When an item is marked as deleted, there should be no need to erase a Trash. The file should be removed with 'rm' command for good.

jacoblanemcp

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »
Hello,
  Repaire, Delete, Move, etc. buttons should be enabled, when all of the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Scan is finished
- One item from the results has been selected
- Item isn't marked as Moved/Deleted/Repaired
- Item belongs to infection (red icon with exclamation mark inside), for warnings/clean files the actions makes no sense
- User must have permissions to see file representing or encapsulating the item at filesystem

By item is meant a file at filesystem and identificable part nested inside archive (file inside tar.gz, part of pdf document, etc.) that can be scanned.
Items inside archive can be only repaired. Delete/Move actions can be applied only to files, not nested items.

If the application doesn't behave as described, could you please provide us a screenshot and check, if you see the file in a Finder.

Thank you in advance,
Martin

Martin,

Per your request, see the attached screenshot. I have verified the following:

- Scan is finished
- As you can see, an item has been selected in the list
- The item has no status and has not been marked that I can see
- The item is indeed an infection
- The user has administrative rights on this laptop

See what you think.

Jake

thermitefist

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:56 AM »
what do i do if i try to repair the file (because i just now found out that i got the flashback TJ) and it says
"Failed to repair /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/Resources/.MacarenaOfTime/.xsl file" do i just delete it instead and will that get ride of the trojan virus?

Offline krahulik

• Avast team
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Hi,

@ Jake: Thank you for the post. In the next release of Avast, I will remove the check for a file existence in action buttons disabling. This was meant as a check that a file hasn't been deleted in the time between a scan and an operation above scans, however I didn't realize that this verification cannot be done reliably without being root. Even as a computer administrator, you most likely don't have permissions to access the file at /Users/Nicole/Library folder.

@ thermitefist: I would just delete the file or ".MacarenaOfTime" folder at all. There's not much else you can do.

Martin

PewDiePieBro

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 09:21:16 AM »
I played computer and opened Google Chrome. Then, I watched from YouTube for like 20 minutes. Then, I deleted some of my used art files from M.S Paint. Then I emptied my Recycle Bin. After 2 seconds, some Malware were blocked. I don't know how to do it so I waited for my dad. His time at work will be 7:00 A.M until 9:30 P.M. So, I searched some ways to avoid or remove infected files. So, I couldn't find what is the plan of what to do to infected files. My Dad knows about it by just searching "Application" at the Documents. So, I copied his technique how to avoid having Malwares.  I don't know what is the choice. So, I go to Google and search for the ways to delete Infected files. Google don't have one because my Dad don't want to download other Anti-virus. So, I go to avast! Forum and questioned this.
The technique to remove infected file is to search "Application" at our Old Disk. I find it and find it until there was files of messed words (titles of the infected files).
Please help me, avast!.

Offline specimen9999

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
I played computer and opened Google Chrome. Then, I watched from YouTube for like 20 minutes. Then, I deleted some of my used art files from M.S Paint. Then I emptied my Recycle Bin. After 2 seconds, some Malware were blocked. I don't know how to do it so I waited for my dad. His time at work will be 7:00 A.M until 9:30 P.M. So, I searched some ways to avoid or remove infected files. So, I couldn't find what is the plan of what to do to infected files. My Dad knows about it by just searching "Application" at the Documents. So, I copied his technique how to avoid having Malwares.  I don't know what is the choice. So, I go to Google and search for the ways to delete Infected files. Google don't have one because my Dad don't want to download other Anti-virus. So, I go to avast! Forum and questioned this.
The technique to remove infected file is to search "Application" at our Old Disk. I find it and find it until there was files of messed words (titles of the infected files).
Please help me, avast!.

In this case, I think you should wait for your father.