Author Topic: Possible to upgrade laptop for gaming?  (Read 11198 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Possible to upgrade laptop for gaming?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
GPU = Graphics Processing Unit (effectively the graphics chip or processor on a graphics card), it is the power of the graphics in the same way the CPU Computer Processing Unit is the power of the computer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Misuzu

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 04:31:55 AM »
^ Thanks for the explanation. I was pretty confused there.

I may post again if I decide to get a new computer, just in case the computer I'm considering buying isn't as good as I think it is. I always like getting Avast members' feedback on computer stuff.  ;)

Thanks for everything guys! You've been a big help. :)
Bye for now.
-Misuzu
|  Free Avast!   |  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Both up-to-date) |

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:54 AM »
Misuzu it will mostly come down to how much your willing to spend, Alienware are hugely overpriced for what they offer.

Imo the Asus range of gaming laptops ( ROG ) give more bang for your buck and the build qualities are far superiour plus you can custom order  ;D the G74sx such as mine and the newest G75vw can have there CPU upgraded anytime you like but at this point in time there coming installed with the 3rd generation intel i7 3.4Gz and 16Gb ram, the latest GPU out to fit these systems is the Nvidia 680m, there still quite expensive at around $2000 but that is half the price of the Alienware's.

Keep in mind that you could probably pick up my system in my signiture for around a $1200 now.

Happy shopping :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:12:49 PM by craigb »

Dch48

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 06:34:21 AM »
In most cases, the only things you can change out in a laptop are the RAM, the Hard Drive, and the optical drive. What can be put in is determined by the Motherboard and it's BIOS. I have been using a laptop exclusively since 2006, even for gaming ,and I have done pretty well. Both of the ones I used are listed in my signature.  If you are considering buying a new laptop that will be used for gaming and don't want to pay too much, I would strongly recommend an HP like the first one in my sig. The AMD APU's are currently the most affordable solutions and certainly the best bang for the buck in gaming performance. I also suggest HP because their laptops are very rugged, durable, and reasonably priced.  I have had no problems with either one of mine and only paid $599 at Staples for the newer one a year ago. Another plus is that updated video drivers from AMD can be installed without problems unlike some other manufacturers like Toshiba, Sony, and Panasonic who have specifically requested that their laptops be excluded from AMD driver support. You can only use the drivers those makers provide which are modified to work with their hardware and BIOS setups. It is possible sometimes to find third party modded drivers but those don't always work either. If you do choose to buy a new machine, make sure that Intel graphics are not all it has since even the latest versions are not up to par with the integrated graphics in an AMD APU. Mine plays WoW, LOTRO, Rage, Skyrim, DiRT3, Dead Island, Diablo 3, and everything else I have thrown at it with very good performance. There are now laptops with the next generation AMD trinity APU's that perform even better.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:39:34 AM by Dch48 »

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
<snip>
Sounds like the Intel CPU, GPU and Graphics chip/card aren't the best around huh? If you don't mind me asking, what is considered a good CPU and GPU?

<snip>

Intel makes phenomenal CPU's but when it comes to GPU's they only make integrated solutions that aren't really made for gaming. As for what is considered a good CPU and GPU, depends on what price range you are targeting. If i was in the market for a laptop i would probably take Dch48's advice and go for something with an AMD APU. If i had the money though, i would for sure get something like craigb has, that is one serious piece of kit that he has there!  :)

CharleyO

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 05:58:30 PM »

And, as you can see from the last of my signature, my laptop isn't near what Craig has neither. But, the CPU does run at 2.8 Ghz though the installed RAM is  4 gb of memory. Also of help is that the GPU is what AMD calls "Premium Vision." Right now, I'm not exactly sure which version of ATI that means.

Dch48

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:32 PM »
Yes, if you have the money to spare, I would agree that ASUS has the best gaming laptops. I was considering one until I saw the HP in Staples for less than half the price so I went that way. It's not as good as a good ASUS but it's good enough for me. I would also avoid getting an Intel CPU in combination with an AMD discrete card. Then you have what is called "switchable graphics" and so far that has been a real headache for most owners since AMD drivers do not support that setup yet (they have promised to change that but it hasn't happened yet) and you have to stick with the manufacturer's drivers that don't get updated very often. As a dedicated AMD Radeon fan , it pains me to say this, but if you get an Intel CPU in a laptop that has a discrete graphics card, you're better off going with NVidia at this time.