Author Topic: Google Chrome  (Read 4036 times)

gongoozler

Google Chrome
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:08:01 PM »
It appears I trusted avast when I just OK'd the latest upgrade, suddenly Google chrome appeared and I am having all sorts of trouble since. I DO NOT WANT GOOGLE CHROME.......it's ironic this much recommended (by me) protection programme  should be causing me so much trouble, I' ve tried deleting google chrome...Ha! too hard for a duffer like me. My only alternative seems to be to pay to get someone in and ditch Avast and google altogether.........Thanks a lot Avast after years of happy use....or do I trust someone from avast to go into my computer to sort it....just the type of action I have been warned to avoid!!!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Google Chrome
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
Google Chrome is offered just once.
You don't have to install it if you do not want it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
@ gongoozler
You are missing a crucial piece of information the avast version you have currently, if 7.0.1451 then use the avastUI, Maintenance, Update - Program Update to get the latest version 7.0.1456.

As Tech says the Chrome Install should only be 'offered' once, if it is offered on each reboot, the above update should resolve it, if not.

If you have version 7.0.1456, then check this post http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100773.msg805714#msg805714 plus the one two posts below http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100773.msg805717#msg805717.

Google Chrome, if it did get installed by bug/error/omission should be able to be uninstalled in the same way as any other program, using the Windows add remove programs (winXP) or Programs and Features (Vista, win7).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arnold72

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:17:15 PM »
i wish people would bother to read the install section.All ive seen is people whinging and whining that chrome was installed without their authorisation.all you need to do is untick the boxes for chrome and its really simple.Instead of people whinging at avast why dont they just sit back and read things carefully.
END OF RANT!
Regards. >:(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »
Unfortunately for some the installation had problems and elements were missing from the Confirm install screen, notably the chrome install check boxes and or the screen only stayed there for a second or so.

There are other valid reasons why they were in this position other than simply not reading the installation information.

So you can't make that sweeping generalisation.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Let us hope that is all water under the bridge now,

pol

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

gordon451

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »
Ummm...  Alas, it's still passing under the bridge  >:(

I've just installed (fresh) 7.0.1466, and the Google check-boxes were simply not offered.  Twice, 'cos I uninstalled Avast completely as well as GC.

Then I get the message in the UI (Current Status) that I chose to install it.  Now I can't get rid of the GC ad.   >:(

Edit: Just installed Avast! on one of the lappies, and was looking very carefully, and saw one (1) check-box for a Google toolbar -- which I promptly unchecked.  This machine does have pre-existing GC on it.  There does seem to be a problem.

Gordon.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:39:10 AM by gordon451 »

gordon451

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:59:39 AM »
Now I can't get rid of the GC ad
Update - my problem is solved  :)

I not only uninstalled Avast!, but spent about an hour going through the registry by hand -- Now why didn't I think of locating regedt32 in /system32/:-[  -- and removing every entry belonging to Avast! and GC.  Then reinstall and watch the screen like a hawk!

And this time the opt-out for GC did show up.  Why is it an opt-out?   ???  And the pre-populated check-boxes are a tad on the small side I reckon.  Anyway, un-check them both and continue.

Voilà!  No Google Chrome!!!   :D

I think it may be a "Good Idea" to make the GC thing an opt-in rather than an opt-out.  ::)

Ummm...  I should say now that I would feel the same way regardless of which browser was being imposed on me -- even K-Meleon, which I use 95% of the time!  Most of us have carefully chosen or decided to continue using our current browser: we have put some thought into it, and having another one slapping our face is actually very impolite.  We would deeply appreciate the opportunity to say "Yes, I will choose to give it a go" rather than whinge "Where did that useless (*&$% come from?"

Gordon.