Author Topic: Introducing avast! for Linux Workstations BETA  (Read 60182 times)

Cap

Re: Introducing avast! for Linux Workstations BETA
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 08:39:01 AM »
Hi All,

How do I tell if its scanning my in coming e-mail?

Thank you in advance.  :)   

Anyone?

DukeNukem

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »
It doesnt scan incoming and outbound email.

Perhaps this would be implemented in a future release, i would certainly like it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 05:33:59 PM by DukeNukem »

Cap

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2005, 03:15:40 AM »
It doesnt scan incoming and outbound email.

Perhaps this would be implemented in a future release, i would certainly like it.

Yes I agree, that would be very cool.

mrdrbubba

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 03:18:17 AM »
Hi -

I just downloaded and installed the beta referenced in this thread.  Unfortunately, it won't seem to accept my registration key.

I copied-and-pasted straight out of the email - but the OK button remains disabled.

I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Dublin

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2005, 03:26:07 PM »
scanning incoming/outgoing mails isn't implemented

Smokestack

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 10:18:34 PM »
I use mandriva 10.2 and i cant find the avast folders anywhere. I am wanting to make a link for my desktop.
Anyone have any advice?

ams

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2005, 06:41:26 PM »
I have never used mandriva, though unless your running under root (which you shouldnt be) all the files should be in your home directory, though they may be hidden.

Culpeper

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 06:37:44 AM »
If you using KDE email than you can use one of the incorporated scanners to scan email.  I think you can choose between, F-prot, Clam, Sophos, or H+BDEV.  Someday, Avast!

Dublin

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 02:28:58 PM »
I've tried a key in fixed avast4workstation-1.0.1 and it's working.

Culpeper

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 05:52:31 AM »
How do I get a valid key? The ones generated on this page: http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=ENG don't work. There's a window asking me to enter the code but when I do so is still can't press ok.

Oh my god this is just hilarious. I actually checked this forum everyday because I was really curious to test the GTK2 interface of your AntiVirus for workstations, a very promising feature no other proprietary AntiVirus solution offers right now until I realized that the product is actually a bad joke. The post announcing it is nearly a year old and your Website http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-for-linux-edition.html that announces it didn't change in that time either, I guess. So I came to the conclusion that I won't see Avast for Linux workstations anytime soon, and definately not  "next mounth".

Good thing I don't rely on your software.

While you patiently wait for someone else to do the work you can always use the GUI "qtfprot" with the F-Prot for Linux.  You know, it isn't like Linux is being overwhelmed with viruses.  While you checked fruitlessly everyday for an update on Avast! for Linux updates you missed that zero viruses have infected Linux boxes worldwide.  Lighten up a little.

Culpeper

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2005, 06:33:44 PM »
Noted.

Nevertheless, it is free and it is Linux and it is open source and there are a lot of options out for Linux almost entirely all free.  Prodding the Alwil staff to do something about their website is fruitless.   Have you asked the staff for a beta version?  You may be a good candidate for testing.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2005, 06:59:50 PM »
Culpeper, I agree with Guestlogin...
Prodding or not prodding, if the company states something in the website and does not update it... well, it's unprofessional...

Prodding the Alwil staff to do something about their website is fruitless.

I know that I wait for a service that I will get for free, and I do appreciate the work of everyone at Alwil, but putting up a website claiming that something will be released and than not updating it for nearly a year is very unprofessional and scares me as a potential customer.
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2005, 06:10:33 AM »
I think guestlogin can get a beta version with the interface he's interested in by simply asking for it.  Nevertheless, I'm wondering why the staff might be ignoring the issue.  Staff?  Are you there?  Hello?  Could guestlogin please have a beta version of the interface he is interested in?  Please?  He is actually interested in it.  Also, could you please bring the linux page up-to-date or tell us something.  Thanks.

Also, could you please contact KDE so they can incorporate Avast! for Linux in their email anti-virus wizard.  Just an idea.

Culpeper

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 06:27:45 PM »
Oh, cool a RPM file.  I may try it.  Thanks.