Author Topic: Introducing avast! for Linux Workstations BETA  (Read 60338 times)

Culpeper

Re: Introducing avast! for Linux Workstations BETA
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2005, 07:12:43 AM »
Well, I installed it and it works like an AV should.  Now what should I do?

Dublin

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »
test it

Culpeper

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 11:45:32 PM »
Okay, no problem.  I want to set up a script file so incoming email is "piped through" Avast using KDE Kmail filtering.  Basically bypassing Kmail's antivirus wizard and using Avast instead.

amd4ever

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2005, 08:52:07 AM »
Hi! I have some problems with Avast in Linux...(but windows version work perfectly!) When Avast found infected file it can't remove or delete it. This is log: "Error occured while deleting: 42111"(or "Error occured while renaming)... Is it a bug?

Culpeper

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2005, 08:56:15 AM »
Was it an archive file?

amd4ever

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »
Yes. Sorry. Now Avast delete it  :)

Culpeper

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2005, 09:07:20 AM »
Okay, just remember that in a mailbox archive file that Avast may not be able to remove infected files from within the archive file.  Welcome to this lonely forum.

amd4ever

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2005, 06:51:32 PM »
How about to translate Avast for Linux into the other languages?

Culpeper

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2005, 08:30:49 PM »
I don't think so though the help files come in one other language.  Avast for Linux Workstations is in a development stage.  For actual everyday type of protection you should use something like F-Prot or Clam.  There are a few others out there as well.  You probably aleady know this though.

amd4ever

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2005, 08:57:16 PM »
I don't think so though the help files come in one other language.  Avast for Linux Workstations is in a development stage.  For actual everyday type of protection you should use something like F-Prot or Clam.  There are a few others out there as well.  You probably aleady know this though.
Maybe you are right. I used F-Prot before, but Avast is better  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2005, 10:22:37 PM »
How about to translate Avast for Linux into the other languages?
I don't know if this an open project... Alwil will have to say something.
But, I'm here a lot of time and they never asked me to translate avast for Linux yet  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Culpeper

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2005, 02:20:46 AM »
I don't know why but for some reason I feel anxious that Avast! is so slow on this forum.  Avast is one of the leaders in multi language platforms and Linux is basically ,after everything is said and done, a European invention.  There just doesn't seem to be much push for Avast for Linux Workstations.  I'm not being critical.  It is just the way things are.  It has to be something to do with allocating resources where they are needed the most.  I'm in no rush.  But for my entire history on this message board the Linux forum has always been a very lonely place.  Techie is the only other Windows user that I see posting here.  I think I will post a screen shot of the Avast GTK GUI just for kicks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2005, 02:30:02 AM »
I think I will post a screen shot of the Avast GTK GUI just for kicks!
I will love it. I never saw the Linux interface. I have Linux as a second boot option but the translated version of mine does not install rpm or deb files that easy. So, to use avast I need to learn more about Linux and how to install and use it.
Does avast give on access protection or it is just an on demand scanner?

Culpeper

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2005, 02:39:27 AM »
Tech

I posted a screenshot in a new thread.

Also, when you have time, you may want to look into the Suse Linux distribution.  It has a very nice GUI interface and comes in several different languages and supports RPM installations, which is about the only way I can get anything installed without much trouble and know-how.  I installed the Open Source version of Suse which has everything as open source software.  The other Suse distribution is the one that includes everything like Java, RealPlayer, Adobe Reader, and so forth.  I ended up having to install those packages anyway.  But the Open Source version is fine for those that are purists at heart.  My wireless card isn't supported by Linux so I had to install "Ndiswrapper" to get it to work.  But for the most part I truly enjoy using Linux.  There just isn't much in the way of security issues with Linux at home.  I keep Windows installed on my best machine.  It's my old machine that now runs under Linux.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2005, 03:01:57 AM »
I posted a screenshot in a new thread.
I've saw. Thanks.

Also, when you have time, you may want to look into the Suse Linux distribution.  It has a very nice GUI interface and comes in several different languages and supports RPM installations, which is about the only way I can get anything installed without much trouble and know-how.
I can't find a freeware (open source) + Portuguese (Brazil) version of it.

I installed the Open Source version of Suse which has everything as open source software.  The other Suse distribution is the one that includes everything like Java, RealPlayer, Adobe Reader, and so forth.  I ended up having to install those packages anyway.  But the Open Source version is fine for those that are purists at heart.
Can you give me a link for it?
Thanks.