Author Topic: invalid file signature  (Read 100208 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: invalid file signature
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 02:32:46 AM »
If you are using the regular release version 7.0.1466, and the repair failed - 'Error processing packages. Please use full update.' - then this worked for me:

Then you will need to do a Manual update of VPS - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 67.5 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

Surely that will try and install the program as well?  67.5mb is a whopping big size for just the definitions

Well, it sure is big, but it fixed the problem. I had removed and reinstalled the program anyways, so my definitions were back at august. Now I'm at version 121003-2.

Yes the full virus definitions database is big (but it also worked for me), which is why I mentioned the size, no way a dial-up user could contemplate that, but on fast broadband it wasn't a big issue for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Geoffo

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 02:33:20 AM »
I'm having the same problem, I hope it gets fixed soon.

This what DavidR wrote works, it is really easy. Follow the picture instructions during download. Is like painting with numbers.  ;)

Not with everyone though, works for some, not others. I'd prefer to wait for a proper fix
Win7, Chrome, Avast MBAM, SUS,

KinightOfLight

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 02:33:38 AM »
For those of you who are are using the regular release version 7.0.1466, and the repair failed - 'Error processing packages. Please use full update.' - then this worked for me on my win7 netbook with 7.0.1466:

Then you will need to do a Manual update of VPS - avast! Virus Definitions Update - Manual Download VPS Update (virus definitions, vpsupd.exe, approx 67.5 MB). - Save the file to your hard disk, locate where you saved it and double click it and that should carry out the virus definitions update.

If you don't want to go through that process, then wait for the avast team to resolve it, which hopefully won't take too long.

This what DavidR wrote works, it is really easy. Follow the picture instructions during download. Is like painting with numbers.

GTX66

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 02:33:43 AM »

That does not work. Next Idea? >:(

ken1942

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:17 AM »
For those of you who are are using the regular release version 7.0.1466, and the repair failed - 'Error processing packages. Please use full update.' - then this worked for me on my win7 netbook with 7.0.1466:

If you don't want to go through that process, then wait for the avast team to resolve it, which hopefully won't take too long.

Thanks . That worked for me

movieman

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:04 AM »

This what DavidR wrote works, it is really easy. Follow the picture instructions during download. Is like painting with numbers.

This did not work for me

MatteoB

« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 02:44:10 AM »
Are we supposed to manually download that 68 meg file twice a day which is how often avast normally updates???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »
@ movieman
Why not, what errors did you get ?

Are you using the beta build (doesn't work on that) ?
What OS and avast version is installed (free/Pro/AIS) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »
Are we supposed to manually download that 68 meg file twice a day which is how often avast normally updates???

No, just to resolve that problem with that update, leave it to do its normal auto update and see if it works. Hopefully before another update is released a correction to this problem will have been incorporated in the update process.

avasterone

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »
Just got the red malware popup. Tried to update manually unsuccessfully.

Thank you gals and guys for posting about this problem here, otherwise I would have thought I got a virus or something. I'm using free Avast with XP and Fox. Will inform when problem solved or of any new one. Peace!!

sandyfrench

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
I'm getting this problem also - been using avast for years ( free for home use version ), and have never seen this before...

Duncan9999

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2012, 02:53:36 AM »

I did this and it looks like it worked. Avast is now saying virus definitions 121003-2
Thanks for that tip!

Pokesaver

« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 02:55:04 AM »
Just got the red malware popup. Tried to update manually unsuccessfully.

Thank you gals and guys for posting about this problem here, otherwise I would have thought I got a virus or something. I'm using free Avast with XP and Fox. Will inform when problem solved or of any new one. Peace!!
Was it a malware pop-up or an actual "threat has been detected" pop-up? If the latter, it's an actual virus.

MatteoB

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 02:55:41 AM »
well I have done the manual update and it is saying VPN or something already up to date. HOWEVER I am still getting the exclamation mark and it still says I am on virus definition 121003-1. It is 2 am and I am tired but I am fed up with this. Been fannying around with manual updates, rootfixes and following net advice jargon for ages.  I have never had this issue with Norton or Kapersky. I was told this Avast was the best. Only had it a month and regret it now. I have sent off as support ticket as have paid version.

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:46 AM »
Will this be fixed automatically?  That file is far too big for me to download right now with things I am doing.