Author Topic: invalid file signature  (Read 100219 times)

KinightOfLight

Re: invalid file signature
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2012, 03:26:22 AM »
did anyone update but still remained in update 121003-1?!?!?! mine ran fine and then stayed in update 121003-1

anyone with this problem?

d

WIN 7 FULL

YES, DAMN, I got the same problem Dros!  :-\

Offline leftisthominid

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2012, 03:26:57 AM »

is there really any significant danger to staying with 121003-1 until avast! fixes this?

bioruffo

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2012, 03:29:12 AM »

is there really any significant danger to staying with 121003-1 until avast! fixes this?

Only if Skynet awakens tonight.

KinightOfLight

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »

Maybe...

Dros

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2012, 03:32:54 AM »
IVE LEARNED TO BE PATIENT WITH THIS ISSUE, SO, I GUESS UNLESS AVAST BEHAVES KINDA FUNNY OR MY PC DOES, I RATHER WAIT... THEY DO UPDATES ALMOST EVERY 2 DAYS SO, WE'LL KNOW BY THEN...

CHEERS FELLAS GREAT FORUM!

steaming

« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:30 AM »
@EmoHobo and Xavieron:  are you sure?  What is the virus definition version number shown?

Is it different from 121003-1?

In any case, what I find most disheartening and confidence-sapping, is that Avast shows itself a poor company:  not one official announcement that I've seen all this time, not one official warning or advice -- piss-poor PR, if that's the case.

And this fix and workaround?  Dodgy, right?  I mean what in hell is going on?  Are they hiding under their desks behind closed office doors, whimpering in panic, or do they simply not give a damn?  I'd be curious to know.  Time to look for a more responsible -- and responsive -- outfit, maybe. 

Ah, wasted too much time on this, and I see that so have others, including paying customers, so I feel short on patience (and by now, disgusted, too).

@Bioruffo:  please, for anything's sake, don't say you feel ashamed!  If anyone or ~thing ought to feel ashamed right now, it's Avast. 
Mistakes happen, but it's how they're dealt with, that matters -- this was dealt with poorly, if at all, leaving us in the dark, essentially.

The 'good' news?  We were suggested half-baked workarounds and in most cases ended up wasting time for dubious outcome and results.
Yay... Well, many thanks for that.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 03:40:45 AM »

Answered the question you posted in another topic. Posting the same question in multiple topics just makes it harder for those trying to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bioruffo

« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2012, 03:44:46 AM »
@Bioruffo:  please, for anything's sake, don't say you feel ashamed!  If anyone or ~thing ought to feel ashamed right now, it's Avast. 
Mistakes happen, but it's how they're dealt with, that matters -- this was dealt with poorly, if at all, leaving us in the dark, essentially.

Oh I was actually writing that light-hearted, I'm not soooo ashamed lol.
I guess everyone has a bad day sometimes... even at Avast... They've given me a good free product for years now, I really can't complain.

lee5768

« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2012, 03:45:30 AM »
just removed avast

just to many issues of late giving MSE ago again

KinightOfLight

« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2012, 03:46:48 AM »
DavidR: What is when I update to 121003-2 with http://www.avast.com/download-update  ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2012, 03:54:17 AM »
I don't really understand the question, as the two aren't directly related.

The version number has nothing to do with the Full Manual Download, this is what is required if you get the 'Error processing packages. Please use full update.' after an avast Repair attempt. Essentially this Full Update download can also fix the broken update process. That done it will generally allow subsequent updates to work.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bioruffo

« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »
Just to be clear, in my opinion:
do you know the feeling when you spend a lot of money to buy an iPhone 4s, and the next day they announce the new iPhone 5, which is pretty much the same but is newer than yours, and so spending all that money wasn't really worth the effort?
Well, tomorrow Avast is most likely publishing a 121004-1 update, and all this fuss and all your efforts to install 121003-2 will be simply obsolete, and you will feel silly because you could as well have watched a movie or baked some biscuits instead of losing precious life moments trying to update to something that'll be obsolete the next day.
Just my two cents.

...or we could all switch to Norton, after all it's paid, it must be better right? lol...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:05:13 AM by bioruffo »

OhMyGod

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2012, 04:01:49 AM »
The manual update worked for me. Now it says I already have the latest update.
This is the first time I ever had a problem with Avast because I'm not taking it very serious since other AV's gave me all kinds of problems.

Good day. :)

iroc9555

« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2012, 04:07:58 AM »
FYI

A while back I did a manual update downloading the full VPS from Avast! web site:

http://www.avast.com/download-update

My Avast! seemed to have updated. See first image. 5 minutes later Avast! started by itself to download again the VPS setup, the whole 68+/- MB file. Afterward it told me that my Avast! needed to update even though I had 121003-2 already installed. see second image. When I tried to update through Avast UI, it told me I was updated to 121003-1. See third image. Wierd.

I had to repaired Avast! and now I am back to 121003-1 and Secured. No new update available.

This could be an isolated issue, but just in case a repair is needed to be back to VPS 121003-1

Most likely Avast! pulled out VPS 121003-2 from the VPS data base to avoid further problems while they fix the issue with the update..

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:22:34 AM by iroc9555 »

steaming

« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2012, 04:21:40 AM »
Oh I was actually writing that light-hearted, I'm not soooo ashamed lol.
I guess everyone has a bad day sometimes... even at Avast... They've given me a good free product for years now, I really can't complain.

Yeah, I know or guessed that was the case, heh.  (But I did lose patience and got a headache going through the motions in a hurry, trying to fix this issue immediately, while I had better things to do, so when I saw your post, first thing in my mind was "Oh, noes!! Defend the injured party and bring forth righteousness!"  ::))

Just to be clear, in my opinion:
you know when you spend a lot of money to buy an iPhone 4s, and the next day they announce the new iPhone 5, which is pretty much the same but is newer than yours, and so spending all that money wasn't really worth the effort?
Well, tomorrow Avast is most likely publishing a 121004-1 update, and all this fuss and all your efforts to install 121003-2 will be simply obsolete, and you will feel silly because you could as well have watched a movie or baked some biscuits instead of losing precious life moments trying to update to something that'll be obsolete the next day.
Just my two cents.

...or we could all switch to Norton, after all it's paid, it must be better right? lol...

Heh.  All good points.  And not as if I didn't think the same, but I just randomly and unfortunately decided to update the definitions before logging off, and SLAM! -- I was faced with this.  Even then, I was near shutting off and leaving it till next time and the next update -- but instead I decided to address the issue right away.  Bad choice, obviously.  ::) They do say it's better to trust your instinct and go with your first choice sometimes.

(Still stuck with v.#121003-1, incidentally...  Bugger it -- tomorrow's problem;  time to follow the procrastinators' motto:  what can be done today... can be done tomorrow... or the day after... most of the time. ;~)

@iroc9555:  nah, not an isolated issue, you're not alone -- same thing happened to me (and others).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:25:14 AM by steaming »