Author Topic: Cant update  (Read 19543 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Cant update
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 07:38:11 PM »
Cool!

I never did see an outright failure to update on my computer, but I did see it on my sister's computer.
I had just done a Reboot when suddenly I got the popup that the avast Update had failed. 
I then attempted a manual Update and it still failed.  Doh!

The bad thing was that I had to leave at that time.  I didn't have time to follow up on what could have caused the problem.
I thought at the time, "Oh just friggin' great.  I'm probably going to have to reinstall avast on their computer tomorrow.  Or worse ... I'll probably get a phone call later this evening informing that they're getting avast errors ... and that I was the last person to use the computer."

But, then the following day, which was yesterday, avast was already updated properly.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

chabod

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
how can I tell if i have missed some updates
and if i missed them have they been included in the last current definition  - the one(s) given after the problems most have encountered ceased

is there a file i can see that tells me i hasve all updates
121005-2 is my current one

but might be missing 03/04

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 01:36:16 PM »
If it tells you that you are up to date and all reported version numbers, both reported (in the update check) and displayed (in the avast! Summary screen) are the same then it is pretty safe to assume it is correct. If you haven't been getting errors stating that the update failed, etc. then they should be working/coming as expected.

Generally there are on average two updates in a day though I have seen as many as 5 or 6 in the past

You can also check the avast website, http://www.avast.com/virus-update-history, however thee are time when that isn't as quick to record the update as you getting the update. There was one released early this morning, shortly after you posted, so it should now be 121006-0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

chabod

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 07:16:36 PM »
HI dr

uploaded files for 4, 5 6 and 7
they tell me i already have these versions

however do those files contain 1210020 and 1210030

if not where can these files vpsu be obtained

thanks

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
however do those files contain 1210020 and 1210030

Yes.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Patty1515

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
I can't update either.  Started getting the message today that I need to update.  However, when I try to, Avast update starts and gets stuck at downloading vps_32-8ff-8fe.vpx.  Then nothing.  Just sits there.  However, when I go to the Avast website and download the definition update and run it, Avast tells me it's already up to date.  When I look at "About Avast" it shows me Program version 7.0.1466 and Virus Definition 121003-2.  But after reading some posts here, I went to the history list and it shows the latest to be 121007-1.  So, where is it to download and manually install and why when I download the update from the webpage my Avast tells me it's already up to date with 121003-2?  I have been using Avast for years with no problems.  Not until now.  My specs are:

Windows7 64 Home Premium
Avast Free

Thanks for any help.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 10:31:32 PM »
If it is telling you that it is already up to date you have a problem with displayed and reported version.
Try a repair of avast:
Win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Patty1515

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »
If it is telling you that it is already up to date you have a problem with displayed and reported version.
Try a repair of avast:
Win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Uninstall/Change and select Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.

Actually, I discovered when I opened the install in Control Panel in order to do a Repair and checked the Update icon, it was indeed updated.  However, I believe the program had stopped working since it thought it was not.  The Icon in the System Tray had an exclamation mark over it and it didn't seem to react to anything I did.  When I tried to do a repair, I got an error message, something about a problem with files (don't remember exactly what it was now and I didn't take the time to write it all down.)  So, I used the uninstall program from Avast in Safe Mode (per Avast's instructions) to uninstall and then installed the newest program package downloaded from the website.  It now appears to be working correctly.  I've had this system for nearly 3 years and have always used only Avast on it.  I also used Avast for years on my older systems.  This is the first time that it developed a strange problem like this.  It's always updated fine until now.  I'm wondering if updating to version 7 from 6 may have caused program issues resulting in this behavior.  As it is, it all appears to be fine now and I'll just keep my eye on Avast in the future (I don't think it had updated since the beginning of October except when I tried to do a Manual update. Not good IMHO since it's updated twice today since I fixed it.)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38:45 AM »
The exclamation mark is a problem/notice that needs attention, it is a lower priority than if it were a Red X (serious problem). If you disable a shield or set updates to manual for instance you would have the exclamation mark to draw attention to it. Whilst the exclamation mark is present, you won't see an animation of the avast icon as this avast! tray icon with the exclamation mark replaces the animated one.

If you see the exclamation mark over the avast icon, you need to open the avastUI, Summary screen and identify what the exclamation mark is for, e.g. what shield is stopped, etc.

An update from the control panel may succeed where the normal one would fail as I believe that has a higher privilege level.

####
I would suggest that you check the avastUI, Settings, Updates, scroll down to the Update Parameters and set it to the connection method you use, 'My computer is permanently connected to the internet.'

Now scroll down the the Proxy Settings and expand that option, see attached image, click to expand. Ensure that you have it set to 'Direct connection (no proxy)' if you don't actually use a proxy to connect to the internet (usually not the case). The default proxy setting is usually 'Auto detect (use Internet Explorer settings' at times there can be a problem actually getting the proxy information from IE and that could impact on the auto update function.

FlyingHorse

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2012, 10:03:23 PM »
Is this something we should be worried about?  ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
If you aren't having any problems the same as this then no. Though personally I have always set the proxy setting to 'Direct connection (no proxy)' as I don't use a proxy to connect to the internet. So I cut IE out of the equation, no need to look in IEs settings to see if a proxy is used.