Author Topic: Firewall issues in last couple of versions  (Read 6613 times)

Bonz

Firewall issues in last couple of versions
« on: September 12, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
Error: Your operating system kernel does not support netfilter, so the avast! firewall will not work. To solve this, flash to a custom ROM with full netfilter support.
 I have been running avast! for quite some time of my phone and have been very happy with it. I just recently noticed that my firewall wasn't on. I got this message when trying to enable it. I have not had any problems with the firewall before and just recently started getting this message. I uninstalled and reinstalled avast! and that cleared up the problem for a little while but I'm getting the error again. I just recently started using my FoxFi application more than normal and I'm wondering if there is a conflict between the two applications trying to use that feature at the same time maybe or it's just a coincidence?

Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
Android: 4.0.3 Upgraded from T-mobile official site.
Baseband: T989UVLE1
Kernel: 3.0.8-perf-T989UVLE1-CL508451 se.infra@SEI-46 #1

svehlak

Re: Firewall issues in last couple of versions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
Yes, I assume you did update from Gingerbread to ICS via official OTA update - in this case I have to sadly inform you, that T-mobile really patched the kernel and there is no more support for firewall. Actually infra kernels are very good, but this is the classic case of pawned kernel by vendor. You can find some ways how to fix it - just look for kernel with iptables support.

Bonz

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »
Sorry, your explanation doesn't make sense as I have been running ICS before I started using avast!. The firewall has worked fine until just about a week or so ago. This can not be T-mobile's fault.
T-mobile didn't use OTA, it was a Kies update going from Gingerbread to ICS. There haven't been any OTA updates and last Kernel update was on Sun May 6 15:07:07 KST 2012
(7 minutes after they posted it  ;D )

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:56:26 AM by Bonz »

svehlak

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
So you did update via Kies from Gingerbread to ICS or not?

Bonz

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
I have been running ics since May. The kernel has not changed since. It has been working just fine until just the last week or so now.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »
What you can try is disabling the FW, uninstalling AMS then installing it again and see if you get the same error.

Filip

Bonz

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 07:04:17 AM »
I have uninstalled and reinstalled. The firewall will work for anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours, then I notice the firewall off again and get the error when trying to enable the firewall. I have since switched to another firewall until this gets looked into as I would much prefer to keep avast!.

svehlak

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:56:27 PM »
Well, can you provide us the log (like from aLogCat)? If yes, please feel free to send it on my email. Thanks.

Bonz

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:33 AM »
I reset my phone to factory default (ICS still) and it is now working fine.

Bonz

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 05:36:36 PM »
Okay, I am now getting the same problem again. It had been running fine since my last post until now. Shortly after my last post ( like the next day), I decided to flash to cyanogen mod 9. The only changes I made today was that I uninstalled a live wallpaper that was generating an icon on the top. I regularly turn off the firewall when I'm at work for wifi tether as I haven't found all the processes needed to pass through the firewall. It was working when I went to work and I uninstalled the live wallpaper when I got home. I went to re-enable the firewathell and got that message again. I have rebooted the but not tried uninstalling reinstalling yet. I really don't want to flash the ROM again to resolve this.

svehlak

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 06:23:44 PM »
I have got the log, let us continue via email.