Author Topic: Web Shield not allowing Web Access in XP  (Read 5714 times)

txcolliers

Web Shield not allowing Web Access in XP
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:23:09 PM »
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Avast on my XP machine to no avail. It does not allow any web pages through with web shield on. Sometimes when I start the browser I can get to a couple of pages before I get the "connection was reset" error. Looking at the web shield page in Avast, it'll show last page scanned until it hits ap.ff.avast.com/P/QTFF(long string of characters) and then nothing else even as I try various pages. As soon as I turn web shield off, the problem disappears.

I have XP, 2002, SP3. I have the latest Firefox (though the same problem occurs with Explorer). I have the WebRep 7.0.1466 plugin installed and enabled. I have tried turning off Windows Firewall before installing Avast. There are no other firewall programs installed. I have Windows 7 machines running Avast on the same home network and there are no difficulties there.

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Web Shield not allowing Web Access in XP
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
- Which avast!..?? (Free/Pro/IS)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

txcolliers

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Avast Free. No other security software installed. Had an old version of ESET installed but had moved the license to a different machine. Uninstalled ESET.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:12 PM »
I suggest you read and follow all instuctions in the info section here number 12 in the list http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ to fully remove remnants of Eset and any other AV you may have used in the past.

txcolliers

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 02:18:09 AM »
Thanks, craigb. I got eset all removed and then discovered a problem with K9 Web Protection (which I forgot I loaded). Removed it, tried adding k9filter.exe to the process exceptions in Avast, re-installed but still had problems. I've uninstalled K9, but now I can only get to your forum, which seems weird.

Any other suggestions?

RazorLan

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 05:50:32 AM »
I am having that problem also.  I am running Windows XP service pack 3, and have been using the free versions of Avast for years.  This problem of web pages being blocked with the error message of "connection has been reset" exists on all web browsers and user profiles on this computer.  Interestingly enough though, Google pages seem to get blocked less often than some others.  Yahoo gets blocked often, and some sites, such as usps.com are blocked all the time.  This problem cropped up about 4 days ago, and may or may not have to do with ccleaner or some Windows update I ran around then.  I had Avast 7 free version installed.  I tried using the avast uninstaller in safe mode to remove all avast products and reinstalling the latest version.  I have even tried downgrading to Avast 5.  Nothing I have tried has worked, and I have been fighting this for that same 4 days.  I am running Avast on multiple computers on my home network, and this one is the only one that seems to have the problem.  I even went looking on these forums for suggestions, and nothing I could find was helpful.  The only thing I have been able to do so far that works is to temporarily disable the web shield, which seems to allow me to get my web pages.  If anyone else can figure this out, I'm all ears, as I am beyond fed up at this point.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
Thanks, craigb. I got eset all removed and then discovered a problem with K9 Web Protection (which I forgot I loaded). Removed it, tried adding k9filter.exe to the process exceptions in Avast, re-installed but still had problems. I've uninstalled K9, but now I can only get to your forum, which seems weird.

Any other suggestions?
Im not sure about the behaviour processes of K9 so i wont try to advise there but with K9 uninstalled can you try a repair of avast then reboot, I would also try restoring default settings to your windows firewall as K9 might have changed something in there.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 07:16:33 AM »
I am having that problem also.  I am running Windows XP service pack 3, and have been using the free versions of Avast for years.  This problem of web pages being blocked with the error message of "connection has been reset" exists on all web browsers and user profiles on this computer.  Interestingly enough though, Google pages seem to get blocked less often than some others.  Yahoo gets blocked often, and some sites, such as usps.com are blocked all the time.  This problem cropped up about 4 days ago, and may or may not have to do with ccleaner or some Windows update I ran around then.  I had Avast 7 free version installed.  I tried using the avast uninstaller in safe mode to remove all avast products and reinstalling the latest version.  I have even tried downgrading to Avast 5.  Nothing I have tried has worked, and I have been fighting this for that same 4 days.  I am running Avast on multiple computers on my home network, and this one is the only one that seems to have the problem.  I even went looking on these forums for suggestions, and nothing I could find was helpful.  The only thing I have been able to do so far that works is to temporarily disable the web shield, which seems to allow me to get my web pages.  If anyone else can figure this out, I'm all ears, as I am beyond fed up at this point.
RazorLan please start your own topic so not to hijack this one.

RazorLan

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 04:45:11 PM »
Right.  Sorry about that.  I just thought it would be helpful to note that, since the problem seems to exist currently for other users who do not have K9, I doubt very much that the cause of the problem is K9.