Author Topic: Big Problems - all of the below and more - Freezing, Service cannot start etc  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Biox

It started when I received an Avast message saying the library was out of date as the update failed. Needed to do another update.

I tried several times but received other messages about the Signature being invalid. I then did a Program update and this was followed by a message saying the Service could not start.

I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled the latest version (Free) on Windows 7 /64  Avast will not star tat all now, saying there is no account associated with the program, but more specifically, the Service cannot start. Tried starting it manually but it stops itself.

That was on one boot partition so I am unable to run Avast at all.

Now on the other boot partition which I have switch too, again a warning message from Avast saying the library is out of date and I need to update. But I won't of course. ....

What's going on ??  This is a poor show Avast, should not be happening.

thanks

Pokesaver

Two things: 1. Do not try fixes like that. If you looked up some information before trying to fix your "problem", you'd know it isn't anything major since everyone using avast! has this problem. It is being fixed right now.

2. Go to control panel > uninstall programs > avast! > right click and select "repair" > let it run. If that does not fix it, wait for another response.

Offline Biox

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your feedback Pokesaver which might apply to a Junior, however I have been in IT for 35 years, Senior Exec for major companies and public ones, I know what I'm doing.

As to your comment ;

..."Do not try fixes like that. If you looked up some information before trying to fix your "problem", you'd know it isn't anything major since everyone using avast! has this problem. "....

a) I did see that a number of people have reported the issue. That doesn't preclude me reporting my version of events.

b) ..."you'd know it isn't anything major since everyone using avast! has this problem. "....   Read what you have said. By default - It "Is" Major - if everyone is having the same problem.

If I am unable to reliably check my email or open documents on several machines, as Avast has been crippled, then it is major.

Can I suggest you keep your personal views and comments off the public forum.

KinightOfLight

It started when I received an Avast message saying the library was out of date as the update failed. Needed to do another update.

I tried several times but received other messages about the Signature being invalid. I then did a Program update and this was followed by a message saying the Service could not start.

I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled the latest version (Free) on Windows 7 /64  Avast will not star tat all now, saying there is no account associated with the program, but more specifically, the Service cannot start. Tried starting it manually but it stops itself.

That was on one boot partition so I am unable to run Avast at all.

Now on the other boot partition which I have switch too, again a warning message from Avast saying the library is out of date and I need to update. But I won't of course. ....

What's going on ??  This is a poor show Avast, should not be happening.

thanks

This could bring light into the dark: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=106560.0

CharleyO

Actually, not everyone is having this problem. I have never had a problem with Avast program updates nor vps updates ... even after having used Avast for 12 years ... nor have I had a problem with the latest updates.

Of course, many people are having problems, unfortunately.

KinightOfLight

From my wife the Avast make the desktop freezing, she uses Vista, I did deactivate Avast, now the desktop works again. I installed a other AV-Programm till Avast hopefully fix it someday.

true indian

From my wife the Avast make the desktop freezing, she uses Vista, I did deactivate Avast, now the desktop works again. I installed a other AV-Programm till Avast hopefully fix it someday.

Did you try re-installing avast! 90%  of the time this works out ;D

changing your AV is not the solution...the faulty update has been removed for now so that wont harm your avast anymore ;)
give it a try!!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:45:12 AM by true indian »

Offline Biox

Thanks I have tried Repair, I have tried Reinstalling, and I have just tried again with a complete uninstall and the latest install that appears on the Avast site.

The app installs Ok, however the Service will not start. I have also tried starting this manually however it immediately stops. Thus I cannot "connect an account" to the app, and cannot do updates. The app just won't run at all.