Author Topic: How to restart Avast when tray icon is unresponsive?  (Read 10807 times)

avuser007

How to restart Avast when tray icon is unresponsive?
« on: October 05, 2012, 05:27:58 AM »
Sometime after the latest update, Avast had an error and now the tray icon is unresponsive. avastui.exe and avastsvc.exe are taking up all my CPU, roughly 40% each.

I don't particularly want to restart Windows every time Avast has an issue, so how do I shut down and restart Avast, when avastui is stuck and unresponsive?

Surely there's a way? I searched around for a while but couldn't find any mention of how to do that.

If it's not possible and I need to restart, can someone tell me how to permanently disable the self-defence module so I can kill/restart the process if this happens again (at least until I feel confident it's stable again)?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:32:50 AM by avuser007 »

true indian

Re: How to restart Avast when tray icon is unresponsive?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 05:34:44 AM »
you try uninstalling and re-installing avast!

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 05:39:42 AM »
Sometime after the latest update, Avast had an error and now the tray icon is unresponsive. avastui.exe and avastsvc.exe are taking up all my CPU, roughly 40% each.

What error ?

Sometimes a reboot will fix any update error or a repair that also involve a reboot. Now you do not want to reboot your comp. Why ? Do you have problems with the OS ?

How to do a repair:

With XP

Start > Control panel > Add & Remove programs > select avast! and click " Change/Remove ". Look for " Repair " and click it.

With Vista or win7

Start > Control Panel > Programs & Features > uninstall a program > select avast! and click " Uninstall/Change ". Look for " Repair "

Reboot when finished.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:41:27 AM by iroc9555 »

avuser007

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:54:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to reboot every time Avast has an issue, because it's inconvenient when I have a stack of programs running, have work to do and all I want to do is shut down the problem process that's hogging the cpu. Hence wondering if there was a way. I take it there isn't?

Avast usually behaves itself, but I was just wondering in case this happens again.

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 05:59:28 AM »
It is not reconmended to shut avast! self-defense modulo off, but if you must:

Avast! > Settings > troubleshooting > Enable avast! self-defense module

avuser007

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 06:04:35 AM »
Cheers! It's only just in case this issue recurs. Once I'm happy it's stable, it'll be back on again. :)