Author Topic: Changing avast 7 installed components breaks webshield and mailshield  (Read 3396 times)

MAG

Twice since avast 7 was released I have changed the installed components.

The first time (initial release) was to remove remote assistance.

The second time (current version) was to uninstall and reinstall safezone.

Both times this resulted in webshield and mailshield stopping scanning, but with no warning to the user that they were ineffective.

The cause as far as I can tell is that changing components pulls in an additional faulty redirect driver aswRdr.sys (there should only be asw Rdr2.sys I think).

So this seems to be an installer problem - and one that I think was flagged on the initial release of avast 7, but is still there.

o770

Re: Changing avast 7 installed components breaks webshield and mailshield
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 06:37:45 AM »
Hello. I can confirm the same problema on Avast Free. Is this being taken care of?

CharleyO

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »

Have either of you tried a repair of Avast?

To do a repair of avast :

For XP -

Control panel  >  Add/remove programs  >  click once on avast to select it  >  click on Change/Remove  >  scroll down the left pane and click on repair  >  click OK  >  follow directions.

For W7 -

Control Panel  >  Programs  >  Programs and Features  >  click on avast  >  click on Uninstall/Change  >  click on Repair from the left pane  >  then folllow the steps.

o770

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Yeah and every proposed solution in these forums that I could find in the last two days, I've tried the uninstall/reinstall, with and without aswclear, also through the safe mode, this registry patch and there is no aswrdr.sys in my Drivers32 folder. By the way I diverted even playing with aswRdr in Device Manager.
mag is right this has been noted since beta testing as seen here.

PS. And I tried the command switch Overwrite on the installation once. Is there anything useful in the setup.log that I could show here?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:35:41 AM by o770 »

o770

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
Not many people going for a custom installation, right? Old story... No wonder Chrome's got so many.

PS. Sorry, that was some problem in Avast installation.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:59:30 PM by o770 »