Author Topic: Boy I'm sure i sound like a newbie  (Read 6377 times)

mrjohncougar

Boy I'm sure i sound like a newbie
« on: October 08, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
 I may be comming over form the dark side. I've used ariva antivirus  for five and a half years, put up with all it's issues, and popups and there's been a bunch lately.  I've only been thinking of changing  for a year? Yeah it's hard for me to part when i felt it gave me better protection. I don't feel that upgrading to arivas new version free 2013 is better. All the reviews I've seen are rating it  fair to good but with alot of isuses and i just tired of all of it. So here's my question. I have four browsers.internet explorer for my wife? And i use Google chrome and firefox for myself with opera. And i try to be as fast as i can on the web. i turn off or delete plugins when i can for speed. I don't want the avast ratings feature that shows me colors when i'm browsing. i just don't feel that i need that distraction. but ofcourse i want to be protected. So what's the difference between the web shield and the browser protection? And will I get installed a plugin in each browser? Now also I hear that google chrome is not covered? Thanks  ::)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Boy I'm sure i sound like a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:46:29 PM »
Disable webrep as it is not a vital part of your protection,  more like WOT, a guide. Whereas webshield is your first line of defence

mrjohncougar

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
 Ok I'm looking at on avasts site, these's a picture of installing avast using a custom instaltion,under real time shields is web shield and under components is browser protection? So those features are needed. I take it. I'll do more reading, but can i install avast using the custom install and uncheck webrep? because that seems to be the feature that i don't want? Or do i need to uninstall it from avasts main face  for each browser? Again i'm sorry to take you away from more important matters. i like to know what i need to do before i do it and then i don't need to post. I hope. I am so close to uninstalling a antivirus that i was very comfortable with and changing to another. I'm fine changing almost anything but my antivirus. Don't know why? ::) i think because the aniviruses are harder to uninstall. Ariva doesn't have a uninstaller and is a pain to uninstall. THANKS last post for now

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:32:16 PM »
Aye remove webrep under the custom installation screen but you do need browser protection and web shield..  Any other questions then just ask, that is what we are here for  ;D

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
Avira removal tool can be found here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ number 4 in the list, run the tool after a normal uninstall.

slybo

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 11:30:30 PM »
essexboy, I uninstalled webrep by going to avast GUI, additional protection, Browser protection, did the uninstall and now shows plugin not installed. It looks like this also stops the phishing filter? does it? You say I do need browser protection, do you mean the phishing filter or web shield, I have web shield. The only thing I have done is the Browser protection plugin. Just would like to know if I need to do as you told mrjohncougar and remove just webrep on a custom install and would this leave the phishing filter? This is on IE9, was having problems with IE9 error about it stopping, with no webrep no problem. Thanks sly

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
Not to sure to be honest as all my mail is pre-filtered before I even download it

slybo

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »
Not to sure to be honest as all my mail is pre-filtered before I even download it
I was doing some searching and I think you mean phishing filter will only do email if there is no webrep, if that is true will leave as is, I do not do enough email, and only us aol web email.