Author Topic: Problem : Mail Shield  (Read 10855 times)

LeSpace

Problem : Mail Shield
« on: September 24, 2012, 07:50:06 PM »
I followed all the instructions for setting the Mail and Mail Shield.

It works well.

But when I send an email, there is a problem.
checkbox in the Mail preferences to check again all alone (but the number is 143, whereas normally it should be about 995).

Here Mail says my account is disconnected iCloud and he could not find the SSL connection, etc..

I am very angry against Avast, it's been several months since no version works with me at Mail !

Code: [Select]
Sep 24 19:46:22 --- last message repeated 4 times ---
Sep 24 19:46:22 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local WindowServer[154]: CGXOrderWindow: Invalid window 0x6af
Sep 24 19:46:22 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local Dock[224]: CGSOrderWindowListWithOperation
Sep 24 19:46:22 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local WindowServer[154]: CGXOrderWindow: Invalid window 0x6af
Sep 24 19:46:22 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local Dock[224]: CGSOrderWindowList
Sep 24 19:46:24 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[197] ([0x0-0x111111].com.apple.mail[1492]): Exited abnormally: Interrupt: 2
Sep 24 19:46:28 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local Mail[1494]: Using V2 Layout
Sep 24 19:46:28 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local librariand[1496]: MMe quota status changed: under quota
Sep 24 19:46:28 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Killing auth hosts
Sep 24 19:46:28 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100033 destroyed
Sep 24 19:46:28 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local com.apple.SecurityServer[15]: Session 100034 created
Sep 24 19:46:29 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local WindowServer[154]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window d already registered
Sep 24 19:47:00 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local WindowServer[154]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window d already registered
Sep 24 19:47:11 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Sep 24 19:47:11 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local com.apple.iCloudHelper[954]: AOSKit ERROR: Failed to get mail props (doBypassCache=1, user=(null), passwordProvided=0), accountInfoFound=0, mailDataclassInfo=
(null)
Sep 24 19:47:19 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local WindowServer[154]: CGXRegisterWindowWithSystemStatusBar: window d already registered
Sep 24 19:47:36 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Sep 24 19:47:36 MacBook-Pro-de-Guillaume.local proxy[102]: Defective IMAP request!

LeSpace

Re: Problem : Mail Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:01:04 PM »
New version of Avast and always the same problem...

The check box in the preferences of Mail for SSL is checked hitself.

No respons here. I think i will stop to use Avast.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »
Hello,

Sorry for the late response, we'll try to simulate the issue here and fix is as soon as possible.

Regards,
Jan

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
Hello,
If you can not send emails, than the problem must be in your mail client configuration as the avast mail shield does not affect sending mails (SMTP) in any way. What could be broken by the mail shield is saving the sent mail to the IMAP server (into the "Sent" folder). So what exat error message do you get? And what exact server settings do you use? Please provide us screenshots of "preferences->Accounts->Account Information" and "preferences->Accounts->Advanced" so we can try to reproduce the issue.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
LeSpace, could you test the described behaviour without having the avast! installed, please? My findings are that the "use SSL" flag is magically turned on by the mail app itself. As the port stays to be 143, no connection is possible.

To reproduce, I've followed these steps:

1. Set a port to 143, uncheck the "use SSL" checkbox and close settings to save it.
2. Restart the mail app
3. Open settings and display the icloud account advanced options.
4. Hit a reply button on an email
5. The "use SSL" flag is automatically turned on

Works on a Mountain Lion without having the avast! installed.

Regards,
Jan

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
The exactly same issue is described here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99238.0

If isn't not possible to use the iCloud unencrypted, than it's not possible to use the mail shield to scan messages.

Regards,
Jan

EDIT: The most recent findings show that we have a bug there :(. If you uncheck the "Mark mail headers" and "Remove infected attachements" checkboxes in the mail shield advanced settings, it should work.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 03:07:55 PM by Jan Gahura »

LeSpace

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:03 PM »
Thank you for your responses…

Hello,
If you can not send emails, than the problem must be in your mail client configuration as the avast mail shield does not affect sending mails (SMTP) in any way. What could be broken by the mail shield is saving the sent mail to the IMAP server (into the "Sent" folder). So what exat error message do you get? And what exact server settings do you use? Please provide us screenshots of "preferences->Accounts->Account Information" and "preferences->Accounts->Advanced" so we can try to reproduce the issue.
I have no problem to send email. I have a probleme with your tutorial for use mailshield :

- The SSL connection is enable on 993 port
- I uncheck the ssl connection. The box is unchecked and the port is 143.
- I save the change.
- I restart Mailapp.
- The box is always unchecked with the 143 port.
- CMD+N (new email) the PROBLEM : the box is checked itself, so the SSL is enable but with the 143 port not 993 port.
- Now i can not send mail.

You can see screenshots.
Sorry for french. But to resolve the problem, i must to come back to the good setting.

LeSpace, could you test the described behaviour without having the avast! installed, please? My findings are that the "use SSL" flag is magically turned on by the mail app itself. As the port stays to be 143, no connection is possible.

1. Set a port to 143, uncheck the "use SSL" checkbox and close settings to save it.
2. Restart the mail app

Regards,
Jan
I describe it just before. If i understand you.

I tried without Avast, same problem.

The exactly same issue is described here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99238.0
I don't know...

EDIT: The most recent findings show that we have a bug there :(. If you uncheck the "Mark mail headers" and "Remove infected attachements" checkboxes in the mail shield advanced settings, it should work.
It is already uncheck...

If isn't not possible to use the iCloud unencrypted, than it's not possible to use the mail shield to scan messages.

Avast doesn't work with iCloud ?!?!

It is a realy problem...

If you need more informations ask me.

danhydes

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi - did you get this fixed because I am having the same problem?

thanks

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:47:02 PM »
So far we've fixed an issue related to the Gmail IMAP.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Thank you for your responses…

Hello,
I have no problem to send email. I have a probleme with your tutorial for use mailshield :

- The SSL connection is enable on 993 port
- I uncheck the ssl connection. The box is unchecked and the port is 143.
- I save the change.
- I restart Mailapp.
- The box is always unchecked with the 143 port.
- CMD+N (new email) the PROBLEM : the box is checked itself, so the SSL is enable but with the 143 port not 993 port.
- Now i can not send mail.

You can see screenshots.
Sorry for french. But to resolve the problem, i must to come back to the good setting.

The auto-checking of the SSL flag is related to the Apple Mail Application. It reacts to a failed attempt to send mail, I believe. We are working on analysing how the mail shield behaves while working with iCloud mail accounts.

2. Restart the mail app

Regards,
Jan
I describe it just before. If i understand you.

I tried without Avast, same problem.

I don't know...

It is already uncheck...

It worked for me :(

Avast doesn't work with iCloud ?!?!

It is a realy problem...

If you need more informations ask me.

Yes, it is. We are working on it.

Sorry for inconveniences.
Jan

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
We are not able to reproduce the issue with the information provided.
Please post here:
  • The exact Mac OS X / Apple Mail version You have
  • Screenshots of the "Accounts->Account Information" and "Accounts->Advanced" settings of Apple Mail
  • The complete system log file (/var/log/system.log)

LeSpace

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:48:26 PM »
Mac Os X 10.8.2
Mail Version 6.2 (1499)

My log
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28512354/system.log