Author Topic: Sending commands to tablet without a SIM installed  (Read 3767 times)

inkymortar

Sending commands to tablet without a SIM installed
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
Probably a dumb question but I've not been able to find anything about it so far:

If you have a tablet which is wifi-only (no SIM installed) how can you send remote controls to it from another tablet or phone? As far as I can tell the commands are sent by SMS so a phone number is needed. I'm already aware of the web control panel available under my.avast.com but one of the phones I have registered to perform remote control is not a smartphone and does not have internet access.

Offline Werner

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Sending commands to tablet without a SIM installed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:28:07 AM »
Hello,

you can send commands from my.avast.com if the tablet is connected to a WIFI network. If it gets stolen and used by the thief he will connect it to a wifi network aswell - a tablet without any internet access would be rather useless.

Werner

inkymortar

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
Hello,

you can send commands from my.avast.com if the tablet is connected to a WIFI network. If it gets stolen and used by the thief he will connect it to a wifi network aswell - a tablet without any internet access would be rather useless.

Werner

Thanks for replying but as per my original post I am already aware of my.avast.com - I am asking for a different solution to remotely send messages from a phone that is not a smartphone. I want to know whether there is a way of being able to send a remote command from another phone/tablet to a tablet that does not have a SIM (and therefore no phone number) installed.

--edit--

The following may explain better what I am asking:

Remote source           Remote control method            Anti-theft secured tablet (no SIM)

1) PC -------------------- my.avast.com -------------------- control messages sent by web
2) smartphone -------- my.avast.com -------------------- control messages sent by web
3) ordinary mobile ----------? ? ? -------------------------  can this send remote messages?

Is it possible in 3) above to send a remote message somehow? I can't send an SMS as the anti-theft controlled tablet has no SIM and therefore no telephone number. The ordinary mobile cannot connect to the internet so I can't access my.avast.com on it.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 02:40:44 PM by inkymortar »

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:13:21 PM »
not possible for now. you need my.avast.com for this.