Author Topic: Boot Scan Error 0xC000007B (Bad Image)  (Read 4104 times)

Nostalgic

Boot Scan Error 0xC000007B (Bad Image)
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:40 AM »
Hi there, I have been trying to figure out how to remove this error that I found when I did a boot scan. I recently tried removing one of my games because it wasn't working because it wouldn't start up and Avast kept deleting the file. I decided to delete it and there were a few suspicious pop ups Avast had and blocked or removed them. I assumed it was because of my game because it has been detected as a virus which it isn't. I decided to do a boot scan just to make sure Avast didn't find it again but instead, I virus got detected saying it found a Win32: Packed-D [Heur] virus. I got the list of options of what to do with the virus, I pressed "Move To Chest" but when I pressed it, I got "Error 0xC000007B (Bad Image)" then when I tried deleting it, it said the file could not be deleted. I've tried restoring the file but it failed, so I aborted the scan. Then I decided to do a system restore to hopefully fix this problem and restored back to the point before I uninstalled my game, did another boot scan and the same thing happened. Any clues on how I can fix this..? It never detected this before until a recent Avast definition update and I haven't been on any unknown sites. I'd appreciate the help!

Nostalgic

Re: Boot Scan Error 0xC000007B (Bad Image)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:14:13 AM »
Update: I've done another boot scan. I wanted to see how many of viruses it would detect, but for the past two boot scans, it has not detected anything. I'm a bit suspicious and was wondering if anyone had any idea why it doesn't detect the virus anymore. Hoping the virus isn't actually a virus and that it just got mixed up in the recycling bin. Also hoping this virus didn't get smart and hid itself from being detected by the boot scan.. Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:29:10 AM »
possible a false positive that has been fixed  ;)

Nostalgic

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:05:47 AM »
Hey Pondus, thanks for replying so fast. So was it just a glitch or something? I just want to know for future reference what caused the error because it scared me that I couldn't remove it until 2 scans later. I also did some research on this type of error and most of what I saw said it was a virus. Just want to make sure this is not a virus as is indeed a false positive. A solid answer would be much appreciated! Thanks :)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:09:33 AM by Nostalgic »